Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Stuffed Zucchini

Last night I made stuffed zucchini with two large squash that I had recently picked from our new summer vegetable garden.  And I have to admit that it was DELIOUSOUS!  Now I don’t mean to brag on my culinary skills, but whatever I did… it sure came out tasting good!

It reminded me of a verse from 2 Timothy 2:6 where it declares that “A hard working farmer should have the first share of the crops.” (God’s Word ©)  The two zucchini that I stuffed with sautéed ground meat, onions, diced tomatoes, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and topped with strips of Swiss cheese were actually the third and fourth squash that I have picked from the beginnings of this year’s harvest.  I guess that would qualify them as being part of “the first share of the crops!”
It is amazing to me that the small vegetable shoots that I planted just a few weeks ago have seemingly skyrocketed in their growth in an unprecedented period of time.  I think that they have already surpassed the size of last year’s potted patio garden.  I’m sure that the few days of hot weather we have enjoyed early in this season has helped, but the rapid growth is still mind boggling to me!
In our Christian ministry we will also go through periods of unprecedented growth.  There will be times where it seems that everything we touch for the things of God blossoms!  I think the times that I enjoyed the most in our years of ministry was looking at the faces of the children and youth that we ministered to and seeing the joy of the Lord reflecting from the countenance of their faces.
There were the many Vacation Bible Schools where the church yard and buildings were filled with laughing, hollering kids as they participated in the various activity centers or sang while jumping up and down and tried to keep up with the hand motions of the funny tunes we would sing.  And the youth services or retreats where the young people would worship with hands raised up and/or on their knees with tears flowing down their faces or the times when the presence of the Holy Ghost was so thick that it was almost like we became drunk in the Spirit as the 120 did in the upper room at Pentecost!
These are the times that I will never forget.  They are the memories that will always stir me on to continue in His service no matter how the situations and circumstances in my life change.  These are the rewards of the ministry.  They are “the first share of the crops!”
Have you had the pleasure of enjoying the first share of the crops of Christian ministry?  It doesn’t have to be anything like I just spoke of.  It could simply be the smile that comes from the person you spoke an encouraging word to, the happiness you see on the visitors face that you just said “hello” to at your church, the door you held open for the person coming in the building behind you or the joy you receive when you write that tithe or offering check knowing that you are giving unto the Lord’s work.
It is those special times that stir up the inner flame and desires to continue to do more for our Heavenly Father.  I would encourage you today to look for opportunities to bless someone else and thereby do the ministry of the kingdom of God.  Sometimes it may not be the most comfortable thing to do and/or it may take a little planning and work, but the rewards are definitely worth the effort.  Just like I enjoyed the stuffed zucchini last night (and left overs tonight… YUM!)
Have an exciting day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.