Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Overcoming The Big "D"

I mentioned about our recent K-Mart trek in the blog yesterday.  It is a little funny in that I practically NEVER shop at K-Mart.  It is one of those stores in our town that I hardly think about going to.  When I was in high school it was THE discount big box store in town!  I had a close friend at the time that started working there when they opened and progressed through the ranks until he became an assistant manager.  He ran the photo department for a while and I used to process all my portrait and wedding photography proofs through him.  So, needless to say, way back then, I used to go there a lot. 

My wife and I happened to be out in the north part of town where the store is a couple of years ago and decided to check out their Christmas supplies.  I guess that’s why we returned there for additional Christmas supplies this year!  When we arrived home from our huge shopping extravaganza (I think the whole thing cost around $20.00! – I was actually quite surprised.  When I went to swipe my debit card I had to stop and ask “Is that all?”  I think we must have hit the 50% off sale!) we had a quick lunch and then proceeded to finish decorating our tree.

The whole tree thing was an adventure this year.  I am one that usually enjoys every aspect of the Christmas season.  This year though, I found myself not really wanting to put out a lot of effort.  My initial reasoning centered around the thought that since my wife doesn’t really know what’s going on, that things just won’t be the same, so why do it at all?  I also kept finding myself worn out at the end of the day when I had the extra time to decorate the tree and the house.  At this point though, I had a decision to make.  I was smart enough to realize that it was the enemy of our souls attempting to put the big “D” (for depression) on me.  I had to choose between giving in to self pity and admitting defeat, or to (literally) push myself to get out, put up and decorate the tree and in the process give the devil a black eye.

Well, the decision was a no-brainer… but I still needed the “want to” and the energy to perform the task.  So, last Thursday I asked the Lord for both and slowly noticed a change in my attitude as well as an increase in His joy inside me (which is my strength – Nehemiah 8:10).   By the time Friday afternoon arrived I was actually beginning to look forward to getting things going!  Once again though, it wasn’t quite like in the past where everything went up in one day, but little by little (and day by day) the task was completed!  (Actually I am still deciding on whether I want to put tinsel on the tree or not.  What do you think I should do?)  The afore mentioned trip to K-Mart also helped to encourage me to carry on until the end was in sight! 

On Sunday I had run out of new ornaments for the tree and decided not to put the old tarnished ones we had originally received as throwaways from Piper’s Grandparents MANY years ago.  So the trip to K-Mart worked to meet two needs, the need for more ornaments and as a Christmas shot in the arm!  Once I opened up the packages of the new ornaments everyone got in the action. The dog kept getting under my feet as she ran between me and the tree with old cloth decorations dangling from her mouth that she had found left over in the storage boxes, and my wife even attempted to hang a few red and gold globes.  As I’ve stated before, it was a fun and rewarding time.  I am sure glad that I didn’t give in to the old snag of self pity!

This morning as I looked out over our living room from our bedroom loft, I thoroughly enjoyed the sight of the colorful ornaments, the bright colored lights and the large golden star of Bethlehem that we added yesterday to the top our beautiful tree.  It made me think briefly of the tremendous effort that Mary and Joseph had to exert in order to get to Bethlehem for the census that was being taken.  It kind of made my effort look like a walk in the park!

So, take some time this season to enjoy all the decorations of this glorious time of year.  Throughout it all, remember the real reason for the season and be a bright display of His light to those whom you come in contact with.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What (or who) am I expecting to bless today?”







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.