Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Hope

So I was sitting at my desk today, fighting off the blaws of a cold, not too excited about anything when I realized that the dog was upstairs by herself, rolling around on the bed, barking and having a blast!  The sounds of her fooling around above me (and probably messing up the whole bed…) snapped me out of my doldrums and forced me to think of something besides myself.

The first thing I did was to quietly sneak up the stairs so that I could catch a glimpse of the dog’s antics.  As I snuck my head around the banister she suddenly stood to attention with the funniest, most sheepish look that I have ever seen!  With that I could not help but to burst out into laughter!  As I came back down the stairs with Mandie on my heels, I began to think about the joys of the Christmas season.  It is a time when most people reach out to others.  It is the time of year when donations to charitable organizations are abundant, and I notice that more of my neighbors tend to say hello during this month than at other time of the year!

It is a time to be happy because it is the celebration of the hope that was born a few thousand years ago in a little stable in Bethlehem.  This year I also have a greater appreciation as to why it can be a tough time of the year for those who are experiencing rough times or have lost loved ones in the recent past.  But as with our dog barking upstairs, totally oblivious to the world around her, I think that to be happy or not comes down to a personal decision or choice.

We can choose to look in the mirror, feel the pain and live in despair, or to look above, feel His love and live in comfort and joy.  I for one, choose the latter of the two decisions for,

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand. *

What will your choice be for the rest of this season?  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”


*    My Hope Is Built (The Solid Rock) Words by Edward Mote, circa 1834; Music (Solid Rock) by William B. Bradbury 1863










No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.