Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, December 19, 2011

The Hidden Photo

I have a Geodex life planning system book that I have used since my early days as a Production Supervisor at Hewlett Packard back in the 1980’s.  This book, which could be loosely compared to a “Day Timer” with a definite twist toward management, has been my constant companion.  Over the years I have customized the contents to fit my needs and lifestyle.  Besides my daily calendar and “To Do List” it also contains my Bible study notes, our checkbook ledger, and a variety of other sections for the different ministry and business projects that I am currently involved with or are in the planning/dream stages.  It is usually the first thing that I open each day as I prepare to spend my morning quiet time with the Lord.

Many years ago I placed a couple of vacation pictures of my wife in a clear vinyl pocket at the very back of the book.  This made it easy to flip open and enjoy the view!  Last Friday as I sat at my desk in the early morning, I grabbed the Geodex to re-read a note I had taken and absent mindedly open the book to the last page.  As I enjoyed the pictures I reminisced about the many 2 or 3 day “Holidays” that we had taken over the years at this little lodge about one hour north of our home town on Coast Highway One.  I clearly remembered taking the 2 pictures and the really special time we had during that particular weekend.  Thinking that I might copy the pictures to put on my computer desk top, I pulled them out of the sleeve to take a closer look at the finish quality.  As I did, I noticed that there was another print stuck between the two that I had placed back to back.

When I gingerly pulled the photos apart I suddenly gasped for breath as another unrelated photo of my wife emerged!  She looked simply gorgeous!  I am not kidding when I say that it literally took my breath away!  I do not recall taking the picture, although I am sure that I did because she was standing in one of my favorite poses.  (Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I used to do a lot of professional wedding and outdoor portrait photography…)  It was one of those pictures that was perfectly lighted.  Her hair was highlighted with a perfect crown of backlight and it looked as though the wind was lightly blowing it back in a feathery wisp. The photo was not dated but I would have to guess that it was taken about 15 years ago as she had long hair that went quite a ways down past her shoulders, and while I recognize the outfit she is wearing I do not recognize the setting.   

This morning as I was completing my study I leaned back in my chair and looked up at the photo that I had since hung on the wall above my desk.  With a firm determination I thought of the holiday letter that I had written to my wife’s family before Thanksgiving.  In it I had listed what I hoped would be some helpful hints for them in their interactions with her during the holiday gatherings.  As I have mentioned before, the changes with my wife have been a very difficult process for them to handle.  They do not communicate with us too much and I felt impressed to send the letter to ease their fears.

In the letter I asked them to not look at what they see on the outside of my wife, but to look inside to where the real Piper still exists.  That comment came zinging back to me as I glanced at that stunning photo out of our past.  On Friday when I had discovered the photo I broke down in tears as I sat by myself in my study.  Today I confidently smiled and resolved to be like my heavenly Father who “calleth those things that be not as though they were.”  (Romans 4:17 KJV)  His word is infallible and He has provided for my wife’s healing and good health as part of the sacrifice that Jesus made many, many years ago.  When Jesus presented His perfect blood in the Holy of Holies in heaven, He exchanged His sinless, unstained blood as a sacrifice for my wife’s disease.  And just as God’s promise to Abraham finally came into being, my wife’s manifested healing will also be visibly evident.

I’m sure that this is a message of hope for someone else today!  If you need that word, think about Abraham and Sarah who could only see death when God had promised them life.  Be like Abraham who “when there was nothing left to hope for… still hoped (or expected) and believed” and “became a father of many nations.”  (Romans 4:18 Gods Word ©) Don’t give up, you’re on the brink of a miracle, or as Oral Roberts said, “Something good is going to happen to you!”  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting today?”










No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.