Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, April 22, 2013

Turn That Frown Around...

I had the honor and pleasure of bring forth the message at my aunt’s Memorial Service yesterday.  I would have to say that it would be better called a "Celebration of Life" Service.  The only tears shed were tears of joy as many shared during the open mike time about their precious memories of this amazing woman.  One reoccurring point that was made by several individuals and especially detailed through her two younger daughters was the reality of their Mom’s ability to turn any negative situation around so that peace and comfort always prevailed after a talk with her.

One of my cousins even joked about her consternation at times like this, when she really wanted to stay upset for a while over what was bothering her, but that her Mom’s words and compassion always diffused the situation.  
I experienced a similar situation this morning.  Today had started on a different note than usual.  I actually slept in about 45 minutes later than normal.  When I looked over at the clock I awoke with a jerk and got up to get dressed and into my study so as to redeem whatever time left that I could spend in the Word alone before my wife arose.  But alas, that was not the plan for today.  When I leaned over to glance at my her I noticed that she was wide awake and looking ready to arise for the day.
So I sort of begrudgingly accepted the situation and decided that it was best to go with the flow and get my study time after breakfast.  Once at the table my wife was not interested in eating her cereal with fresh blueberries that I had prepared for her.  After numerous attempts I finally sat back in my chair, a little frustrated and upset and stared out the window to our patio.  As I sat there for a moment wallowing in self-pity, the picture of my cousin at the service yesterday laughing at her consternation with her Mom’s words of “every cloud has a silver lining” played before my inner eyes.
I had to chuckle a little as I shook away my desire to be upset, grabbed for my bible and started reading aloud from the book of Colossians.  When I got to verse eleven of the first chapter where Paul is praying for his readers, the reality of the truth burst forth inside me as I read: “We ask him to strengthen you by his glorious might with all the power you need to patiently endure everything with joy.”
Paul is telling us the same thing that my aunt lived!  We are not to allow anger, frustration or self-pity to embroil us, but instead we should turn those natural reactions to the events of our lives over to God and allow His mighty power to give us the strength to patiently endure with His inner joy!  Well let me tell you… those words turned my frown upside down as I began to smile while my thoughts turned from the hopelessness I saw, to faith in His ability to continue to do a good work inside of my wife.
When I completed reading aloud to my wife and I from the Word this morning, I noticed that the whole atmosphere in our home as well as inside of me had changed.  In fact as I look over at my wife right now she is humming along with the Christian music that is playing on Pandora through the speakers in our living room.  She still hasn’t eaten much cereal but she did drink all of her protein drink, drank her juice and took her medications, so I guess I just need to rejoice, trust the Lord and be happy with what she has accomplished so far this morning!
I choose right now to be at peace and allow His joy to prevail and thereby give Him the open door He needs to do a good work in our lives today.  Have you come to that point in your life today?  It might just be the best decision and corresponding action that you take all week!  So, have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What Good News am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.