Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, April 15, 2013

Revival!

I have considered myself to be a student of the great revivals that have occurred throughout the world over the last few hundred years.  What I discovered over this weekend is that this statement is only partially correct.  What was brought to my attention, as I read yet another great volume on revivals, was that I have been an avid student of the Pentecostal revivals that have swept through the lands at various times throughout history.

Back in the late 1990’s while attending a conference at the Rhema USA campus in Broken Arrow Oklahoma with my Pastor, I purchased a book at the church bookstore entitled “Revival Fire” by Wesley Duewel.  I was very excited about the book and could hardly wait to begin reading it.   On the first night of our return home a week later, I expectantly pulled my purchase out from my suitcase and began to read it as I lay down in my own bed!  I had spent the week sleeping on the floor in the living room of some close friends of our pastor… and oh, did I mentioned that I also shared the sleeping bag with their pug?
Anyway, as I read through the first chapter of the book I quickly realized that this particular volume was focused on just about every revival that had occurred at the turn of the century from the 1800’s into the beginning of the 1900’s- except the Pentecostal revivals!  At that time I was quite disappointed, closed the barely started book and slipped it onto one of my book shelves.
Well, that book sat there for many years until last week when I felt a particular leading to dust it off and finish it!  As I have now been reading the book, I’ve found myself entranced by the hunger that the people involved in the various outbreaks of the presence of God across the globe had for “praying (for) themselves or others from the bondage of sin to the liberty of the Gospel” (Revival Fire pg 193)  These revival activities were occurring with the Methodists (who were the largest Christian denomination in the USA at that time), the Baptists and many other non-Pentecostal churches and affiliations.  Their churches in the USA and countries like Wales, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Chile, Indonesia, South Africa, India, Korea, China and countless other locations were expanding beyond measure.  The unsaved were flocking to the daily prayer meetings and crying out to God in repentance and receiving forgiveness and salvation.
As one steeped in the Pentecostal tradition, I have always seen the powerful moves of the Holy Ghost complete with speaking in tongues and miraculous healings such as those that occurred at the Azusa Street meetings that began in Los Angeles in 1906, where the Pentecostal experience was re-introduced into the church, as being the center of the Great Awakening and other periods of great revival.  As I am reading through this account, I now see that it was just a part of what God was doing through many denominations and forms of worship throughout the world.
Once again, the Holy Spirit has been showing me that He meets all kinds of people, in all kinds of ways!  He knows exactly who we are, what we are comfortable with, and maybe most importantly, just the best way to reach each of us and draw us closer to Him.  After all, revival can simply be defined as “the reviving of the church.”  As we members of the church are revived, and re-fired up with a hunger for God and the saving of the lost, the names listed in the Book Of Life will vastly and rapidly be increased!
How exciting!  I long greater than ever to see the inhabitants of my city clamoring for God and a life of holiness and joy!  How about you?  It doesn’t matter if you live in a liberal or conservative area.  God is still God and a people fired up for Him can prayerfully break through the powers of darkness and bring the light of the Gospel to the forefront of any city, in any country, under any form of government in the world!  It is called “REVIVAL” and it starts with you and me.  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.