Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, January 4, 2013

To Boldly Go...

As I continued a new personal study on the book of Romans that I began on the first day of the New Year, I was enthralled with Paul’s comments on Abraham.  Here we have a man whose family is thought to have worshiped the Moon-god.  In fact it is considered by some that Terah, Abraham’s father, settled in the city of Haran due to its being the seat of the worship of Sin, the Moon-god.  But God saw something different in Abraham that caused Him to call this man to “Leave your land, your relatives, and your father’s home.  (and) Go to the land that I will show you.” (Genesis 12:1 God’s Word©)

I believe that one of the qualities that a dreamer possesses is that of a pioneer.  It is obvious to me that God must have seen that pioneering spirit in Abraham.  It is a fire that is within one that causes them to hunger for new adventures, to follow the road less traveled and as the saying that the original Star Trek series popularized “To boldly go where no man has gone before!”  As a Christian, it is the desire to go and do more than just the ordinary for God.  It is the dream that drives men and women to forsake the comforts of a nice home, the security of a well-paying job, and the support and agreement of their family and friends and to move into foreign fields, many times risking the very core of their existence.
Abraham left all he knew and followed the call of God not really knowing where it would take him.  He had nothing to go on except the promised dream of being the father of a great nation.  He hung on to that dream and obeyed God for some 25 years until he finally saw the beginnings of the fruit of his obedience with the birth of his and Sarah’s son Isaac.  Abraham exhibited the confidence in his God and the personal courage to persevere when nothing seemed to be happening around him because he knew that he “stood in the presence of the God who gives life to dead people and calls into existence things that don’t even exist.”  (Romans 4:17 God’s Word ©)
As I studied Abraham’s example this morning as well as that of other early Old Testament dreamers like Joseph, Moses, and Joshua, I also discovered another mutual strength which was the ability to love and extend the grace of God to those (especially family and friends) who did not come into agreement with the dreams that they knew they needed to follow in their lives.  All of these mighty men of God had their detractors, but yet I find no written evidence that they ever uttered a word of complaint toward those who persecuted them.
I have to freely admit that this was one of the hardest things that I have had to deal with when I was faced with unexpected accusation and open criticism from some close to my wife and I as I followed what I believe was the Lord’s directions for the care of my wife.  Over the years I have counseled many individuals when they have faced similar situations, but it was a completely new, extremely frustrating and tremendously hurtful experience when it happened to me!  It hasn’t been easy to forgive and forget as the Lord has patiently been teaching me to do, but it is a lesson learned that I will carry with me as long as I live.
I have come to realize that as one who follows your dreams, you must be aware of and expect the disagreement of some around you.  But like our Biblical examples who have gone before us, you must also be ready to forgive and to extend the same kind of grace that our loving heavenly Father continually extends toward us, while you continue to move undaunted in the dream that He has put in your heart.  Paul tells us that even in the toughest of times that “Abraham didn’t weaken (but instead) through faith he regarded the facts… (and) didn’t doubt God’s promise out of a lack of faith.  Instead, giving honor to God for the promise (or dream), he became strong because of faith and was absolutely confident that God would do what he promised.”  (Romans 4:19-21 God’s Word ©)
A Biblical dreamer is not one who carelessly forsakes his or her responsibilities and embarks on a whimsical journey, but is one like Abraham who diligently and wisely followers the call, keeps his faith strong by the constant study and fellowship in God's Word, and walks in the love and grace of God.  It’s not the easiest road to follow, but the rewards along the way are beyond comparison to the paths that ordinary people take!  Have a great weekend.  Take some time to dream, stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

1 comment:

  1. What a great word, Jim. Thanks for following God and staying faithful to His call. We haven't talked for a while. How is Piper? Can we help you in any way?
    Blessings on you, my friend.
    Steve Puleo

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.