Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, January 28, 2013

Accept It, Enjoy It!

I was dumbfounded this morning as I glanced over at my calendar on the wall and realized that we are just about finished with the month of January already!  Where did the time go?  It seems like it was just yesterday that I sat at my desk in late August thinking that summer was almost over!  Things are sure changing quickly around us.   And speaking of change… I heard a dynamic sermon yesterday that was all about… you guessed it, CHANGE!

The one statement that really caught my attention was when the Pastor declared that “People struggle with change because they don’t really know the One who doesn’t change!”  Hebrews 1:12 and 13:8 tell us that God never changes.  The things of the world are constantly changing, but He is the Rock that is immutable. 
We live in a world where technologies are changing daily.  These new technologies are dictating the way we that we live our lives today.  Think about how much has changed over the last 100 years in the areas of transportation and communication alone!  Come to think about it, consider all that has changed in the past fifteen years!  Some of the mainstays of our lives like Facebook, Twitter, smartphones and tablets where but a distant dream in the minds of hardware and software engineers! 
Most of these changes are designed to help us function better in the ever-increasing complexities of our daily lives.  This may be a funny example, but it is the first that comes to mind…  I remember sitting by my wife’s bed in the emergency room of the hospital after one of her seizures late last year.  She was doing better and I finally had the occasion to relax a bit when I remembered that we were going to miss the World Series parade that I had been looking forward to seeing after following the Giants amazing year.  (I told you it was a funny example!)  As I sat back in my chair a little disappointed, I suddenly remembered the Directv app that I had on my iPhone.  With renewed hope I went through the offerings on the app and discovered that I could remotely program my DVR at home through my phone!  Now isn’t that cool!  Even with all the traumatic events of the day, my wife and I were able to relax on the couch later that evening and enjoy the parade at our leisure!
I know that I have mentioned before how blessed I am when I see Senior Citizens embracing modern technology!  In my days on the sales floor at The Home Depot, it was always a pleasure for me to talk with acknowledged understanding with some of our older customers about the many benefits and extra offerings available on the company’s website.  People who get stuck in the past seem to be afraid to venture out and enjoy the progress of our current times. 
Yesterday my wife and I took a drive out to the coast.  On the way back as we were winding our way along the bluffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean, I glanced with awe at a passing new deep red Corvette convertible and was taken back when I realized that the lone occupant was a women who looked to be in her mid-seventies!  When I commented about it to my wife I suddenly burst out laughing and said: “Why Not?”  Why can’t she enjoy a Corvette like anybody else?  Talk about stereotyping people!
My point for all this is to encourage you to enjoy change!  Embrace the many helpful technologies that are out there in order to help us enjoy life more.  We do not have to be intimidated by change as were my folks when my brother hooked up a computer in their den with internet access a few years ago.  It seemed like the perfect tool for them to easily communicate with their family and friends on the east coast.  But it just sat there collecting dust while my mother complained about the time it took to write and then receive replys from her letters.
The changes that are occurring around us may be a little unsettling to us, but take comfort in knowing that the ONE we place our trust in never changes.  His ways are the same, His love is unending and His power is still able to do “exceedingly, abundantly above all we can ask or think” (Ephesians 3:20 NKJV)  He is the constant that we can hang onto as we discover better changes ahead.  Have a great week.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.