Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Reaching Out

I have always enjoyed watching how other people do things.  I mentioned in a former blog post that I am one of those who tend to learn by observation.  But before you write me off as the typical male, let me say, I also am one who will read the instruction manual so that I have some basic knowledge of what I am observing!  As an Assistant Pastor, Youth Pastor, Children’s Pastor and Worship Leader, I have kept an eye out to see how other Christian professionals attend to their prospective areas of expertise.  I can’t even begin to count the various conventions, classes, webinars, camps, books, magazines and websites that I have gone to or read and gleamed precious information and practical experience from.

One of the first things I’ve learned as I’ve gathered this information and incorporated parts of it into our ministry is the knowledge that what may work in one area of the country, in a particular city or within the viewpoint of an individual’s specific vision will not necessarily work for all.  Over the years I have heard many Christians talk about how hard or difficult it is to bring the Gospel message into the area of California where I live.  I have seen many churches (including a few that I have been a part of) fail in their attempts to establish a work here.  In the past I have tended to agree with those who have bemoaned the liberal attitude of our county.  But lately, as I have experienced some tremendous difficulties in my life with my wife’s situation and have been consuming myself in the Word of God’s grace and love, I have begun to formulate a new hypothesis!
I have come to the personal conclusion that I love the people and idiosyncrasies of those who live here!  Except for the three years in Oklahoma and a year in Chico, California where we attended Chico State University, I have lived my entire life here.  I have worked, played, ministered to and laughed and cried with the people of my county.  The reality that has opened my eyes is that most of those who made discouraging comments about our area, did little to get to know, appreciate and respect those who live here.
Romans 15:2 in S. Ways translation of Paul’s letter to the Romans clearly encourages the church to “Let each of us try to make his neighbor happy, keeping in view his true interests, aiming at building up the structure of his spiritual life.” (Romans 15:2 The Letters of St. Paul to Seven Churches and three friends with the Letter to the Hebrews.)  This scripture demands that we change the way we minister to others!  Instead of trying to force our ideas, our experiences, and what we believe to be the truth on people, I believe that we first need to get to know what makes them tick.  It is important to discover the life experiences that have formed who they are and therefore what they believe.
There are probably hundreds of books in publication that tell how particular churches succeeded in ministering to their communities.  Many have tried to follow their processes and have failed.  Why?  Because each community has a flavor, a history and a draw that is unique to their locale.  I have often heard it said that Tulsa is considered the “belt buckle” of the Bible Belt in the United States.  But you know what?  Tulsa has its serious and unique problems just like anywhere else in the country.  The churches and ministries that are successful there have done their homework and are meeting many of specific needs occurring in that environment.  There are a few churches in our northern California area that are thriving and growing because they too have put a hand on the pulse of this community.  Have they compromised the Gospel message?  No, I do not believe that they have.  They may emphasize certain parts of it more than others, but they are majoring in applying the truths that the people receiving their ministry need to hear the most.
This may sound radical to some, but I think it is all about putting the needs of the people first.  To me, this is the true Gospel of grace and love.   Think about it for a moment.  How much of Romans 15:2 is in operation in your life today?  Are you getting to know and understand the lives of your spouse, your kids, your neighbors and those you might work with?  Are you willing to change your approach in order to bless someone else?  I know that many of my set ideas of ministry have been dramatically upended and changed over the last few years.  But you know what?  I think it is a good thing!  I believe it has made me more pliable and therefore usable in the hands of the Master!  What do you think?
Have a great day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.