Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, January 11, 2013

Foundations

As I was reviewing some of my recent notes in my study of the book of Romans, I came across a verse that really got me thinking this morning.  It is found in Romans 8:5 and declares that “Those who live by the corrupt nature have the corrupt nature’s attitude.  But those who live by the spiritual nature have the spiritual nature’s attitude.” (God’s Word ©)  Those words lead me down to a verse that we considered yesterday, but today I read it in a different translation.  Romans 8:15 in the God’s Word translation states that “You haven’t received the spirit of slaves that leads you into fear again.  Instead, you have received the spirit of God’s adopted children by which we call out, “Abba Father!  When I put those two verses together, I was suddenly impelled to stop and consider my attitude.

If you recall, the context of this chapter as well as those which proceed it, revolve around Paul’s comparisons between the Old Testament Law and “The Gospel of the grace of Christ, which is not only a law or rule of life, but affords that sovereign energy by which guilt is removed from the conscience, the power of sin broken and its polluting influence removed from the heart.”  (Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Bible – Romans 8:2)  As I thought about my attitude in conjunction with Romans 8:5 and 15, I began to see that an attitude driven by fear originates from my old nature, while an attitude driven by the grace of God through His love originates from my spiritual side.
Once again that old nemesis of ours… namely fear, is exposed!  If my trust and dependency is in the Lord, then there should be no fear involved in my attitude.  As I sat at my desk this morning, I began to take a personal inventory of what was the driving force behind my thoughts at that moment.  I was not feeling quite on top of things yesterday, partially due to the big day we had on Wednesday and was still feeling some of the aftereffects of that.  On the positive side though, my wife had a little better night so I was able to get more sleep than I’d been getting lately, but I still found myself fighting to stay awake and being a little anxious about the day ahead.
As I reflected about my attitude, I began to see that I was unconsciously dealing with some fear concerning the number tasks that I felt that I needed to complete within the next 14 hours.  Things that didn’t get accomplished yesterday had rolled over into today’s agenda and I was unknowingly yielding myself to the thought of the impossible task of trying to complete the over booked “to do list!” 
Over the last couple of years I have found that when I keep to a specific schedule each day, that I am better able to complete all the responsibilities of my wife’s daily care, as well as all the other home, personal, social and ministry tasks that are on the daily list and not feel totally beat up by the end of the day!  When other tasks get added to the list, it can become an easy target of concern and bring with it the availability to fall into undo anxiety and unrest.  While I sat there considering this, I became aware that the success or failure of it all had to do with my attitude!
Was I going to let the fear driven attitude of impossibility and anxiety rule, or was I going to allow the love driven grace of God to intervene and direct my steps so as to walk in peace, joy and trust?  That was kind of a no-brainer and I quickly made the correct adjustments to the foundation of my current attitude.  And I have to tell you… it was like day and night.  I instantly felt a sense of peace come over me as I confidently looked to the progression of the day’s events.  At that point the fear was gone and with my trust placed in the Lord’s hands, I needn’t worry about what I did or did not complete by the end of the night!
What is your attitude right now?  Are you anxious about anything or toward anyone?  What is the driving force behind that attitude?  Is there fear involved or is there grace through the love of God?  Kind of gets you to thinking doesn’t it?  Are you going to allow yourself to be led by your old nature or by your spiritual nature which will lead you into a life that is filled with the “absolute fullness of life and harmony with others, security, safety, prosperity and great happiness?”  (Romans 8:6 defining the Greek words “Life” and “Peace” through Thayer’s Greek Definitions)  Seems like the answer to that should also be a no-brainer!
So with all those thoughts, I would encourage you to take some time this weekend to take a personal inventory concerning your attitude within the context of the various areas of your life.  You might just find some revealing situations that could use a little rearranging!  Have a enjoyable weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.