Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Load Limits

I heard a refreshing sermon last night where the Pastor was talking about “Load Limits.”  He went on to say that if we are not careful, most of us end up carrying loads that we are not meant to carry.  Then he quoted the audacious statement that Jesus made when He was teaching on the same subject and said: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”  (Matthew 11:28 NKJV)  Strong’s says that the word “rest” means “intermission, or by implication recreation.”  Thayer’s Greek Definitions defines it as a “cessation of motion.”   In other words, it would mean making a complete stop of the action you were taking.  To let go of the burden you might be carrying and find rest in Him.

The Message Bible makes it even clearer saying, “Are you tired?  Worn out? Burnt out on religion?  Come to me.  Get away with me and you’ll recover your life.  I’ll show you how to take a real rest.  Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it.  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.  Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”  (Matthew 11:28-30)
I always remember what the founder of the Bible School I attended once said concerning going to that particular School.  He commented that half of what you would learn would be what was taught, the other half by what was caught!  That statement held very true for me as I am one of those that learns by observation.  Not only did I take copious notes and hang on every word that was taught in the many varied classes, but I keenly watched the staff as they performed their duties at the school, the Pastors on Sundays and during midweek and special services and also the support teams as the assisted with their various responsibilities around the school and at services.
That is how Jesus wants us to be with Him.  He strongly desires for us to spend time with Him in the daily course of our lives.  To “Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me…” (Matthew 11:29 NKJV) To learn meaning “to learn by use and practice.” (Thayer’s)  He is asking us to couple up with Him, to watch and then to do just as He does.  And then He completes His statement by assuring us that “My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:30 NKJV)
You see, He doesn’t want us carrying any heavy burdens, and He doesn’t want us going through and handling life’s situations without Him.  He’s got the answers, the know-how and can show us those little short cuts to make the things we are to do in this life a lot easier. That’s what it means when He encourages us to “Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.”  There is a pattern or rhythm of His grace that is available for us 24/7!
That’s where I want to be!  Why do things the hard way, when He has got the perfect way already established for us to follow?  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.