Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Old Red Coleman Lantern

My older son and his lovely wife came over last night to help me move out a few of the large items of mine that were still at my folk’s home, as the house is being prepared to go on the market in the first quarter of 2013.  We had borrowed my father in law’s small pickup and figured that between their mini-van, our Buick and the truck, that we could get everything out in one swift move!  While we were at the house, my son was looking through some old pictures stacked on the floor in the living room.  At one point he turned and asked me why I was taking only a few tangible items of sentimental value from my parent’s home.  The only large item I was taking was the grandfather clock in the dining room, and it wasn’t really for the memories that it invoked, but because I just like old clocks!  In reality, the clock isn’t even that old.  My sister and her first husband had it hand made for my folks when they were stationed in Okinawa back in the late 1970’s.  It just has that stately and old fashioned ambiance about it!

When I thought about my son’s questions I came to the conclusion that the most sentimental things that I hold close to my heart concerning my folks are more the memories of the good times, the poignant experiences and the commonalities that we shared through the years together, rather than pieces of furniture.  The items that meant the most to me were a few of my Mom’s old cookbooks, some of her prized plants, a tool or two of my Dad’s, the old red Coleman camping lantern and an inexpensive painting that used to hang over the piano when I was a kid.  Those tangible remembrances reminded me of our shared loved for cooking, gardening and camping.  The painting brought back memories of the times I spent daydreaming about camping and fishing along the banks of a flowing stream as I lost myself in creative thought while looking at the scene depicted on the canvas (probably while I was supposed to be practicing the piano!).  Those are the simple memories that are indelibly etched in my heart, that were a major contributor to who I am today.

I think that it is those same types of memories that the Christmas season evokes in each of us.  It is interesting that most of the popular Holiday movies that we have viewed over the last couple of years depict the attraction that people have for the more simple celebrations of generations past.  But in reality, those simple times are not how we go through the Holiday’s today.  We tend to get so lost in the shopping frenzies as well as in the rush to get everything done, that we forget the memories and the things that make the Holidays special.  It would almost seem that our hearts and our actual activities are in two different places.  Maybe this year is time that we let our hearts get back in the driver’s seat!

That first Christmas a couple of thousand years ago was quite a simple affair, celebrated in a barn with family, friends and worshippers of the new born king.  Am I saying to get rid of the lights and fanfare of the season?  Not really.  I am more implying that you might consider taking the time to think out this year’s celebration ahead of time, and possibly realign your priorities and subsequent activities to highlight the parts of Christmas and the memories that they kindle in your hearts for you and your loved ones.  Why not have the Christmas that you always wanted and/or remembered it to be, and therefore make it more meaningful and special to all involved?

Then just maybe, throughout the next year, you will be like Mary after the shepherds returned to their flocks and “treasured all these things in her heart and always thought about them.”  (Luke 2:19 God’s Word ©)  Have a wonderful day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What TREASURES am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.