Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thankfulness!

Well, yesterday was one of those days that I would like to forget ever happened!  Have you ever had a day like that?  It had started out looking like it was going to be a great day and that all our plans for the day were going to go off without a hitch.  Since we closely followed the San Francisco Giants season throughout the year, we were looking forward to kicking back and watching the World Series Championship parade scheduled for later in the morning.  I had made a vigorous effort to get many tasks accomplished the day before so that our morning would be free. Then we were going to visit my Dad at the Assisted Living residence where he lives.  

I had just gotten my wife up and dressed and was making the bed when she had a horrendous seizure.  She was standing right behind me to my right when she started moaning and shaking rather violently.  Then she fell over and was heading straight toward the wall between the bed stand and a book shelf under our bedroom window.  I instantly perceived the danger of the situation, spun around and threw my arms around her waist in order to stop her motion.  It is humorous how you can find something funny in the midst of a traumatic situation.  As I got hold of my wife, I began to fall over with her and I started to laugh in thinking that on top of everything else, all she needed was to have my weight crashing down on her as she hit the wall.  So with a little grin and a little resolve, I was able to steady myself, turn her around and then lay her on her side.

This attack was by far the roughest one in intensity and duration that she has ever had.  I was really blessed by the 911 operator.  She stayed on the line until the emergency services got here and helped me to stay calm throughout it all.  It was interesting as I was praying and talking my wife through the most intense part of the seizure before I called 911.  As I witnessed the contortions and drama that she was going through, I thought about the ugliness of the enemy of our souls and his torments to God’s children. 

In John 10:10 Jesus described His mission saying: “The thief does not come except to steal, to kill and to destroy.  I have come that they (we believers!) may have life and that they may have it more abundantly.” (NKJV)  As I looked at my wife’s face I could clearly see that this was one of the devils attempts to steal, kill and destroy her.  But I was not about to let him have any more ground that day.  I immediately began to speak God’s Word of abundant life over her and the situation unfolding around me and His peace shortly followed.  By the time the ambulance and fire crew arrived she was attentive and smiling, even though she was quite worn out from the ordeal.  Once settled in at the ER her vital signs stayed strong and steady and the blood tests and head and neck x-rays were negative.  We actually got to leave a good two hours earlier than the last episode.  And one of the good things is that I was able to remotely set up our DVR at home to record the Giants parade from my iPhone while sitting in the hospital!

I was just texting back and forth with my son in Oklahoma and in answer to his inquiry, I told him that I had asked the Lord to keep me strong for my wife’s sake in the midst of all of yesterday’s events, and that even though I now kind of feel like a wet noodle, His strength is still energizing me!  I can’t tell enough of the wonderful peace and security that the Lord has available for us when things in life suddenly go south!  He has given us everything we need to handle even the toughest situations in life and come through smelling like a rose!  
 
In the midst of all the rapid fire activities going on in our bedroom when the four members of the engine company and the 2 person ambulance crew went to work, the lead paramedic suddenly paused and looked sincerely at me and commented on how well informed I was of all my wife’s medications, normal vital sign numbers and other medical information he was rapidly requesting of me.  I smiled back and didn’t really think about it as the Lord just gave me the coolness to remember and accurately give him all of Piper’s medical history.  When everyone left and I was left to close up the house, feed the dog, grab some things for my wife and be off to the hospital, I stopped and sat on the bed and just stared at the wall.  Then as reality hit I began to thank God for His loving care and faithfulness toward my wife and me.

I would encourage you to think about that as you go about you day today.  Don’t wait for a traumatic event to stir you into thanking God for His love and attentiveness over you.  Lift up your hands unto the King of Kings and just let your praise’s flow where you are right now!  Then, enjoy that blanket of peace that He covers you with.  Have a wonderful day!  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What Good Reports am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.