Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Blinking Star

My wife was having a hard time sleeping last night which caused me to stay awake for a good portion of the night as well.  I finally got up a little before 5:00 AM and walked into another room and simply stood there looking up out the window at the shadow of the tree tops and the star studded sky.  What immediately caught my eye was a bright star in the northeast that seemed to be flashing on and off.  At first I thought that it might be a distant aircraft or possibly a satellite.  The more I looked at the object though, I ascertained that it was not moving across the sky and that the blinking was actually an illusion caused by the sway of the trees in the wind through which I was observing the celestial object.

As I stood there entranced by the brightness of the object, I immediately thought of the Star of Bethlehem and how it led the Wise Men to the Christ child.  It also caused me to ponder of the watchful eyes of our heavenly Father constantly on guard for us as the Good Shepherd who employs a constant vigil over His sheep throughout the waning hours of the day and night.  The blinking aspect of my view was like the sight of a flashing emergency light that gives out a warning when trouble is afoot or the comfort of seeing the blinking lights of a police or fire vehicle when a desperate need has arisen in your midst.  It was like God signaling us that He is always watching, always near and always on the job providing for our security.

I was reminded of that star and of the watchful eyes and actions of our heavenly Father toward us as I studied from Ephesians chapter two later in the morning. Verses two and five report on the actions of our God toward us when we were in grave danger saying:  “You were once dead because of your failures and sins... but he made us alive together with Christ… and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places.”  (God’s Word ©/NKJV)  I love the phrase “but he!”  Like a shepherd who would step in front of the wild beast who came to devour his sheep, the Lord saw the trouble that we had gotten ourselves into and stepped in to help change the course of our actions!

As I meditated on these verses and read from some of my many commentaries, I saw that these scriptures could also pertain to the times in our lives where our forward progress in any situation has ground to a stop because of something we may have done incorrectly or due to an outward source of irritation.  You could say that “we were stopped because of our failures, but God made it possible for us to pick up the pieces and start anew in the power and ability of Christ!”  Wow… what a revelation for those little blockades that we come against so often in our lives.  You and I don’t have to be stuck in the mire anymore, but can look immediately to Him who is watching over us, receive His wisdom and comfort and then move on!

So if you should happen to look up at the stars tonight, think about His watchful attention over you.  Be confidernt in knowing that He is always there looking out for you.  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.