Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, November 9, 2012

Christmas Is Coming!

“Twas the month before Christmas and all through the house, nothing was stirring, not even…”  my enthusiasm!  While it is true that Christmas is next month, I have to admit that up until a few days ago I was not really looking forward to the holidays this year.  There are numerous reasons for my lack of expectation, the most notable being my wife’s current health and the recent passing of my Mom.  The last couple of years have been especially difficult as my wife has become less and less cognizant of the special time of year.  We decorate the house, watch all the holiday movies, read the story of the Christ child from the Bible, and attend the few family gatherings that are happening, but it is kind of like I am going through all the motions by myself, if you know what I mean.

This year I had made up my mind that it would be different.  I began to seek the Lord as I strongly desired new meanings, new traditions and a resurgence of those special feelings that usually accompany this season.  As I prayed about the holidays I sensed some excitement about writing another Christmas story.  I have been out of the loop for a few years in putting together the annual Christmas show for the kids at the church due to my absence while attending Bible School and then a lack of participation at the church when we returned.  The all-church Christmas extravaganza was always a highlight of my year, and since we are not currently active there right now, I needed another outlet.  So this year’s focus looks to be on this blog!  Get ready, get set… action! 

Right after Thanksgiving we hope to be launching a special, serial type Christmas story for the entire family, including a daily word of encouragement throughout the Christmas season.  Therefore, make sure that you brew up the hot chocolate, bake your favorite cookies and include us as part of your holiday traditions while you sit near the blazing fire in the hearth with your eyes all aglow as they reflect the lights from your tree and the candles burning on the mantel!

Last night as my wife and I were watching one of the first holiday movies of the year, I found myself feeling despondent as the couple on the screen were sharing a poignant moment with each other when the ringtone on my phone chimed informing me that a text had just arrived.  When I reached over and looked at the phone, I noticed that it was from our daughter-in-law informing us that she and our son had been talking about starting new traditions and were wondering if we would like to participate in a “Decorate Mema and Grandpa’s House Day” together with them and our two granddaughters.  The timing for that text could not have been more perfect!  As I wiped the moisture from my eyes, I replied in the affirmative and thanked them for their consideration.

So, what can I say?  Things are suddenly looking up around our house!  Add to this that our younger son and his girlfriend are working to come and visit right after the holidays, the cheer level has increased dramatically!  How about you?  What special things are you planning this year?  What are your traditions be they old or new?  I would love to hear about them.  Please feel free to leave some comments in the COMMENT SECTION at the end of the blog throughout this season as we celebrate the birth of our King.  If you have any prayer requests for this time of year, I would also be happy to pray with you about them as well.   

My favorite of all the Christmas story scriptures is taken from the conversation between the angel Gabriel and Mary when he sort of sealed the deal with Mary by saying “For nothing will be impossible with God”  (Luke 1:37 – NAS)  The literal translation of that verse is that “No word of God shall be void of power!”  I think that this is the message that each of us should carry into our celebrations of Christmas this year.  No matter what your current situation in life is, God’s power, God’s Word, is greater!  I would encourage you to take some time this weekend to meditate on that truth as you begin to turn your focus to the upcoming holidays.

Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting THIS HOLIDAY SEASON?”

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this blog post. I've been a little down about the upcoming Christmas season. The last few years my daughter and son-in-law have put up my tree and decorated it for us while we visited her brother during Thanksgiving. But, this year my husband insisted that I tell her not to put up our tree. He says he will take care of it, but he has never liked Christmas, at least not since our children were young. It makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.