Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Seasons Of Life

My wife and I spent some time at my folks this morning working on their front yard.  As I was kneeling under the lamppost removing dead growth from their shrubs, it dawned on me how quiet it was in the neighborhood.  I remarked to my wife how things had changed since I grew up there.  When I was in my elementary school years the neighborhood was teeming with the sounds of kids having fun.  I stopped my work for a moment and pointed out to my wife all the houses that had kids living in them when I was young.  Now the neighborhood is in a place of transition.  All but two of the original homeowners (my folks and another older couple down the street) are left.  Many of the homes have retired individuals or couples living in them and a few have young families just starting out.

When I returned to my task at hand and turned on my electric trimmer (I love yard work because I can let my thoughts run freely as I work!) I began to think about the different seasons in life.  There was a time that the most important thing in life was how fast I could finish my homework or chores so that I could play with my friends on the block.  Then there came that cute, petite young lady with long brown hair, freckles, bright laughing eyes and a smile that could send me off to dream land, and all I could think of was spending time with her.  (Some things haven’t changed!)  I would spend every free moment at school with her, and then after dinner and homework we would spend half the night on the phone!  Weekends were the hard times…   I had to endure house chores and work before I could point the car to Piper’s house for the hot date that I had been waiting for all week!  Following high school there was college and then marriage followed in five years by the beginnings of a family.  Now after forty years of actually being together (including dating and courtship) we are back alone having raised our children and seeing them living out their own personal dreams.

I would be a liar if I said that I’ve never wished that I could go back to certain times or seasons in my life, but as I kneeled out in the warm sun today, I can honestly say that I am content in this season and look expectantly to the special experiences that are yet to be lived.  The Biblical book of Ecclesiastes is said to have been written by King Solomon in his later years of life.  In it he writes about the different seasons in life and states: “To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.”  (Ecclesiastes 3:1 King James Version) I believe that God designed us for the different seasons in our lives.  Each year we add 365 days of wisdom and knowledge as learned by the daily challenges and pleasures we experience in our lives.  This unique data is what makes us who we are.  I think that is one reason that I really enjoy listening to seniors as they relate the events of their lives.  I am especially blessed and encouraged when I see those who may enjoy reminiscing the past, but yet live very much for the present.

I would challenge you today to live your lives like that.  Enjoy each season that you go through.  Learn as much as you can from them and then use that wisdom as part of your foundation for the present and future plans that God has for you to fulfill!  Yes, my wife and I may be dealing with some health issues at this time in our lives, (and you may have difficulties now too…) but it is only a season and its time will pass and a new season will begin that opens the door to endless possibilities for good things to happen!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself…”What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.