Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Beware Of The Thief...

This morning I returned to my daily reading of the Old Testament after about a weeks hiatus where I was fully consumed with the New Testament book of Hebrews.  I took up the story in the book of Exodus immediately following when Moses had made his first attempt at convincing Pharaoh to let the Children of Israel go free.  Moses’ initial efforts where, shall we say, less than encouraging in their report.  The Pharaoh basically told him to forget it, and that the people must have too much time on their hands to be thinking about going out into the desert to worship their God.  So, in response to the request, the Pharaoh stopped providing straw for the bricks the Israelites were making.  He told them to find their own straw while continuing to keep their production numbers stable. 

Moses immediately went crying back to God, Who did an amazing thing as He told Moses what He was going to do.  He said that He was going to show Himself to be Jehovah, which literally means “the self existent one” on their behalf.  Exodus 6:1-8 records the event.  The word “I” is used eleven times as Jehovah explains what He will supernaturally accomplish for them.  The following verse is the one that stopped me in my tracks, though.  It says: “Moses reported this back to the Israelites.  But they would not listen to him because they were so discouraged by their back-breaking work.”  (Exodus 6:9 God’s Word ©)

By focusing their attention on the situation at hand, the Israelites lost any hope at ever being delivered from their 430 year old bondage in Egypt.  As I pondered this thought, I was immediately brought back to my own situation that I face everyday concerning my wife’s health.  While I know what God has provided for me and my wife through the finished work of Christ, I can easily get distracted and depressed by discouragement when I take my eyes off of the promise and begin to trust in the deception that plays before my eyes.  I can also see this vividly occurring in others around me in my daily life.

As this information was revealed to me this morning, I heard a clear voice rising up from inside me saying “That is why I called you to a ministry of encouragement!”  While discouragement is a thief to the accomplishment of our hopes and dreams in life, encouragement is a tool that helps to keep the pathways of our minds clear to see, hear and then properly respond for the vision that has been developed for our lives.

As you read through the book of Exodus into the book of Joshua, you will come to know Moses as one of the greatest encouragers of all times.  You will see him use everything in his power and beyond to successfully lead the nation of Israel into their promised land.  Those who chose to keep their hope in what they saw, died in the wilderness, while those who trusted in the words of their God, Who did not need anything visible around Him to line up before He could accomplish His plans, lived to enjoy the fruits of someone else’s labors in the land of Canaan (see Joshua 24:1-15).  Which way will you choose today?  Stay tuned, stay focused on your foundation and keep asking yourself…”What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.