Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today we are celebrating my dad’s 90th birthday, and while I have been reminiscing about raising my own kids and my job as a father this last week, I’ve been thinking today about my own childhood and the example my father set for me.  My dad is a first generation American born in Richmond, California from Italian parents who traveled across the sea from Italy.

If I remember my heritage correctly, my grandfather came to America, worked various jobs on the west coast before settling in as a landscape gardener.  Once established he sailed back to Italy and brought home his new bride.  By the time my dad was born, my grandfather’s business included many estate homes in San Francisco.  In fact my dad says that it was the business from these estates that kept them afloat during the great depression years.  Dad delivered papers throughout his school years and even won a trip to Catalina Island for his sales efforts.  When the war broke out he was running track in College and became a welder in the fledging shipyards in Richmond.  Shortly thereafter he enlisted in the Army-Air corps and with his education and clerical skills became a member of a team that traveled throughout the country inspecting the various airbases.  As he was preparing to go overseas the war came to an end and he found himself stationed in New York.  On one cold and snowy weekend he and a couple of friends decided to go to a local USO dance.  While there he met my Mom and the rest is history!  A funny story that my mom likes to tell about their first encounter was when they danced together that night.  My mother initially thought that my dad was very conceited as they danced in silence to the big band swing songs, until she discovered that he was busily concentrating on counting his steps so he wouldn’t step on her feet!

After being discharged from the Air Corps my parents made their home in New York and my dad began to learn the family business.  My mom’s dad owned a garment factory with two partners.  After a few years and the birth of my older sister, my folks decided to move back to California so that my dad could continue with his education and his dream to become a teacher, as well as to be near his folks.  Once settled back in Richmond and living in army housing (there are quite a few stories about this adventure!), my dad completed his studies at San Francisco State, received his teaching credentials and began teaching in San Francisco.  Shortly after this he took a interim position at a school in Cotati California Our growing family which now included my older brother, settled in Santa Rosa and my dad accepted a position at the newly opened Herbert Slater Junior High School. My dad’s love for this age group caused him to stay at Slater for the remainder of his career.

My dad was a devoted teacher, who was known to be strict but fair. For years, we could hardly go anywhere in town without someone coming up and saying “hello Mr. Berruto!”  I have never had anyone tell me that they did not enjoy him as a teacher.  During his years at Slater he taught various subjects but finally settled in with his love for languages as the head of the Foreign Language Department. 

Dad was very involved at church. He was (and I believe still is…) a member in good standing with the Knights of Columbus, was a regular usher at church services, handed out gift baskets at Christmas, was the Cub Scout Troop leader (I can still picture him in his full dress Indian outfit!) and very active with my mom in the local Italian Federation Group.  My folks loved to dance at the many social events they attended, enjoyed good Italian food and the friendship of the many countless individuals, couples and families that they knew through church and my dad's work.

My dad has always been a gentle, and emotional man with a love for nature, which is how I developed my love for camping, gardening and the great outdoors.  He has always been devoted to my mom and our family and set the example for me as to how to care for my wife and our kids.   Now, at 90, he has slowed down some and is dealing with some physical needs, but still exhibits the love, and concern for others along with a good sense of humor that has marked his life.

When I shaved off my beard a few years back (after 27 years with it), many people began to tell me how much I looked like my dad.  I take that as a great complement, because of the many positive things that people always saw in my dad, and how they remember him throughout the years.  Happy Birthday, Dad!  If I can be remembered as walking in your footsteps, then I consider myself to have attained a major accomplishment in this life.  Thanks for the example that you set for me, Greg and Sue, as well as for their children and mine.

Psalm 91:16 says: “With a long life will I satisfy him…” (NIV)  My Dad has lived a satisfying life and is dearly loved by my Mom and the rest of our family.  What a wonderful testimony to the goodness of God!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself…”What are you expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.