Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Celebrate The Victories Along The Way!

In yesterday’s posting I talked about being able to persevere through the rough phases in our individual races in life.  Today I was thinking that I should also mention the high times that occur as we walk the various paths toward the completion of our goals.

 We recently received some very good news that we had been waiting to hear for the last five months.  My wife was finally approved for some benefits based on the illness that she has been dealing with.  Yesterday, as we walked out of the government office with all the completed paperwork in our hands, I felt as though I was in a daze.  I opened the door of the suburban for my wife, walked around the car and climbed into the driver’s seat and found myself just staring off into the distance trying to take some account of what just happened!  While I was experiencing a great sigh of relief and a joy that this goal was met, I immediately started to think about a wide assortment of other things that still needed to come together for us.  Since it was late in the day and I still had to prepare my junior high lesson for the night, I just shoved all those emotions inside, drove home and got ready for the evening service.

This morning as I rose from the bed, padded down the stairs and then sat in the study, I noticed that all the feelings that I had quickly stored inside, the previous afternoon, were beginning to slip out with a renewed sense of urgency.  I found myself reviewing all my next concerns until I finally realized that I hadn’t taken the time to relish and enjoy the victory that had just occurred! 

This is another important step that needs to be respected as all of us follow our dreams, goals and expectations!  I am reminded that the Jewish people in Old Testament times loved to honor God by initiating feasts and celebrations after most of the various victories they had throughout the years.  In past postings, I have mentioned the story in the book of Nehemiah were the children of Israel were allowed to return to their holy city of Jerusalem (while in captivity) to rebuild the city walls. (see Nehemiah chapter 8).  The Jewish governor told the people to not be sad but to rejoice, “eat rich food and drink sweet drinks and to send portions to those who can’t provide for themselves!” (Nehemiah 8:10 God’s Word©).  He was basically telling them to stop and smell the roses for this one-time successful step in their march toward the completion of this goal that they were pursuing as a nation!

We… you and I… need to take the same advice!  I’m not sure yet what it will be, but my wife and I are going to celebrate tonight!  Who knows, maybe will break out a pizza with some cold root beer and laugh through the night!  Whatever works for you… when the victories come, no matter how small or large, take the time to savor them.  This breaks up the pressure of pushing toward the finish of your goal, while rejuvenating your emotions and re-igniting the fire inside that keeps you going!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What are you expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.