Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, August 17, 2019

The Grooming of Jim Berruto


GROOM:   verb (used with object)


·       to tend carefully as to person and dress; make neat or tidy.

·       to clean, brush, and otherwise tend (a horse, dog, a person…etc.).

·       to prepare for a position, election, etc.:           - Dictionary.com




I found myself involuntarily raising a hand and shouting praises this morning as I studied my Bible on our balcony.  There was a slight breeze blowing and the deep blue sky was dotted with clouds.  And even though it was a little warm, the early hour and combination of the breeze and clouds made sitting out there to be a very enjoyable and peaceful activity!


Although, I’m not sure how peaceful my shouts were to others in the apartment complex. Most of the early birds had already left for work and the park-like settings infused between the buildings as well as the parking lot below me were calm and quiet… except for my audible intrusions!  I was excited though, for I was reading from Ephesians 1:6 where Paul tells us that we are to be giving God praise, glory and thanksgiving for the kindness and/or grace that He has given to us in Christ Jesus!


I couldn’t help but shout out my thankfulness and joy as I read those words and thought about all the kindnesses and overflowing grace that God repeatedly sent our way during the last eight years and the battle we fought for my wife’s life.


You see, while taking a shower even earlier in the morning, I suddenly had been captivated with the idea that God the Father had been “GROOMING” me throughout my Christian walk… even from my stumbling start back in the beginning of the 1970’s… to face the threat, protect and care for my wife during her deepest time of need… throughout what has been the most difficult trial that we had ever faced in our many years together.


I began to understand how He prepared and undergirded me through years of study of the foundational scriptures in my life like Joshua 1:5 and 9, 2Timothy 1:7, Philippians 4:13 and 19 and Ephesians 3:18-21.  In the midst of the shocking news we received from the doctors, the slow and devastating destruction of Piper’s ability to think, communicate and care for herself along with the awful visible changes to her lovely physical features and maybe worst of all, the vicious attacks of the devil against our character and faith, I was able to stand strong and focus fully on GOD and the truth of HIS WORD.  


When push came to shove… nothing else mattered!  It was almost like we automatically slipped into the default mode that God had been putting in us over the previous years!  I’ve heard special forces personnel say that in the explosive times of battle, all they could do was to trust in their training.  I believe that is exactly what happened with me.  All the negative things around me only served to make me stronger and more resolute to see God and HIS way through until the very end.


I love how The Message Bible paraphrases Ephesians 3:19.  It was the way I heard God speaking to me throughout Piper’s and my last battle together.  When times were at their roughest points, I would hear HIS voice saying to me, I can do anything, you know JIM—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! And I will do it not by pushing you around but by working within you, MY Spirit deeply and gently within you.” (personalized)  

The anger, the fear and the symptoms of that awful disease that were tossed our way did little to shake my faith because I KNEW that it was NOT God’s way. (See John 10:10)  For HIS ways come froth with hope, expectancy, peace, love and gentleness.  You see, HE had GROOMED me for this event.  When the worst of the worst came into my life… I simply responded with how HE had trained me!  I guess all those early mornings alone with HIM paid off!


How do you think that the LORD is GROOMING you?  What are the foundational scriptures in your life that you study on a regular basis?  Will you be able to depend on YOUR training when your worst nightmare becomes a reality?  With HIS GROOMING, that nightmare will be but a fleeting shadow when placed under the power and light of the WORD of GOD that is in you!


Have a great weekend, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting God’s training… that WORD that HE has been GROOMING me with, to kick into high gear when the nightmares of life hit home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.