Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Everybody Has a Story


I’m beginning to get the idea that apartment life here in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma is a microcosm of society as a whole.  As I sat on the balcony of my third story apartment this morning, my attention was drawn to a slender middle-aged lady walking across the parking lot, as she does every day, shielding her eyes from the rising sun that peaks its bright rays between the buildings at that particular time each morning.  My first thought was, “there she is again, right on time” but then I got to thinking… “What is your story?”  


Everybody has a story.  This gal takes a walk every morning about the time I am out on the balcony doing my morning Bible study.  To be honest, I have never spoken to her and wouldn’t even know her facial features as she always has a book or magazine covering her face when she strolls by!  Then there is the young mother and her not too happy children whom she walks out to the car each morning.  I assume that she is on her way to work and the kids are to be dropped off at daycare.  Many days of the week they are crying and letting her know that they don’t want to go.  My heart goes out to them and I pray for them quite often.


There’s the older gentleman who lives in the larger apartments over the garages off to my left who walks around his building each day, stopping every-so-often to take a puff or two of his cigarette, the blond women who comes out around seven, as I am walking Fiver first thing each day, who lives in the building right next to mine on the third floor, in her pajamas to enjoy her morning smoke, the older couple below her with the friendly wife who always says hello and tells me what a good looking dog I have, the outgoing young gal in my building right next door and her half huskie, half wolf dog named “Zeus” who is becoming cautious friends with Fiver, the family below me and the many others I see on a daily basis. 


My major prayer concern has become the Asian couple one floor down whose door we pass every time we go out.  The wife (I am assuming she is the gentleman’s wife…) looks like she has recently gone through some chemo therapy for she is thin as a rail and looks like her hair is just growing back.  They park right below my living room windows and I see them leave every afternoon and return a few hours later with a few bags of fresh fruits and vegetables from our local Sprouts natural foods store.  I’ve tried to talk with them a few times, but she seems to be frightened of Fiver (although she will wave to him... not me mind you... him!) so I usually keep our distance from them.  But I pray for them.  I figured that God had them come within the parameters of my life for a reason… so I listen, obey and walk in faith.


Like I said, everyone has a story.  It is interesting for me to observe life around me.  To imagine what their lives might be like and to consider how God and the truth of His Word could possibly improve it!  Lately I have found myself drawn to people who have loved ones that are experiencing potentially life ending medical situations.  I wonder why… right?


Maybe God’s got a ministry plan for me out here after what Piper and I experienced.  I’ve found myself telling them without much thought, that if they ever want to talk… just let me know.  My heart immediately recalls the hope and expectation that God and His Word gave to Piper and I during the last chapter of her story on this earth.  It is definitely something that I want others to experience… especially when it looks like they might be facing a hopeless situation.


Another one of my favorite scriptures encourages us to “Trust the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5 God’s Word ©)  When the storyline in our lives seems to take a negative twist, it’s always a good thing to rely on His understanding which takes us far beyond the limitations of our own understanding of the situation!  His hope.  His expectation.  That what I want people to rely on when the  writer of this world attempts to interject an unexpected conclusion to the story of our lives.  Wouldn’t you agree?


Think about it… Maybe our smiles, our encouraging words and our prayers are the things that will place a hint of hope and expectation into the lives of those we see on a daily basis.  One thing I’ve learned in this life is that God always rewards our faith and obedience to Him and His Word.  So, I keep my eyes and ears tuned… to the best of my ability… to His leadings as I interact within the personal stories of the people around me.  What about you?

Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to make a positive edit into the life story of someone around me today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.