Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, August 5, 2019

SPLENDOR, MAJESTY, STRENGTH and JOY!


I was walking by the bar counter that extends into the living room from the kitchen a few moments ago and on a whim, I reached out and pressed the cassette play button on my old boom box that I had bought back in the early 1990’s at our local Radio Shack.  Within a moment the room was filled with the voice of Piper preaching a Wednesday night sermon at our church in 1999.  Her familiar giggle at a point she made got me instantly to laughing as the congregation also burst into joyous laughter.

As I listened, it quickly came back to mind, that those people really loved her!  They loved her engaging smile, her contagious laughter and her constant encouragement.  She had her audience that night, in the palm of her hand!  That’s not how she saw it of course, but never-the-less, that’s exactly what was going on.  They laughed at every joke, laughed when she laughed at herself and hung on every word she uttered.  I remember her encouraging those in attendance to take notes and witnessed many pens and pencils scribbling keywords and important points on the back of the “Faith Ball” handout that she had provided for everyone.

Throughout the years, I often thought about how wonderful she was… and that line of thought just seems to be multiplied a hundredfold since she moved on to glory.  She did a lot of things right... at least in my book!  My thoughts earlier this morning went to her in heaven.  I imagined that she’s probably even more beautiful now in the presence of the Father.  With all the devastating scars of the Alzheimer’s gone and replaced with the majesty and splendor that surrounds the presence of Jesus.

I Chronicles 16:27 gives us a sneak preview of what’s ahead for us in heaven and seems to confirm my morning imaginations by saying, Splendor and majesty are in his presence. Strength and joy are where he is.” (God’s Word ©)  Like I’ve said about a million times - to which she’d say: “Jim don’t exaggerate! - Piper was always a very joyful individual.  One of my greatest joys was to make her laugh… there was just something special about the extreme happiness and innocence that she exhibited when she broke out into spontaneous laughter.  And that level of laughter usually caused everyone around her to follow suite… whether they tried to control themselves or not!

I can clearly remember early in our marriage, playing table tennis with some members of her kin while on a family vacation at the Sea Ranch on the northern California coast. At one point she began laughing so hard at some of the funny things we were all saying, that she had to suddenly make a mad dash to the restroom as she… well… you catch my drift!  The look of her very red face and the funny but innocent expression mixed with total embarrassment had everyone in the room in stitches and I laughed so hard that I almost fell on the floor!  Now that folks… is JOY! 

But if I am considering this correctly, we don’t have to wait until we get to heaven to be filled with His joy and strength or receive some of the benefits of His majesty and splendor that Piper is enjoying with Him in heaven today.  We can take advantage of those blessings by simply taking the time to quiet ourselves down enough to seek Him, worship Him and come into His presence from right here on this earth!

I experienced that type of worship that drew me into His very presence yesterday morning at church.  I’ve also experienced it in the quiet of my apartment right here in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma as I have been seeking Him for direction for this chapter in my life!  And you can experience it right where you are… anytime you set your mind to take the time and do whatever is necessary for you to come into His presence to worship and then seek Him.

Psalm 16:8-9A in The Message Bible states, “Day and night I'll stick with GOD; I've got a good thing going and I'm not letting go.   I'm happy from the inside out…”  I like the simple way this paraphrased version of this verse puts it!  When you take the time and effort to stick with God, you’re happy from the inside out!  Those quiet times in his presence surrounded by His splendor and majesty, strength and joy are what develops and cements your INNER joy and that's where your REAL happiness comes from.

I firmly believe that this is where Piper’s seemingly endless supply of joy came from.  Even when she couldn’t audibly communicate anymore, you could still see the obvious fulness of joy emanating from her!  And that is exactly what I continue to develop and grow in me… How ‘bouts you?

Have a great new week, and as you do, say with me…”I am expecting my happiness and therefore my joy to be developed within the splendor, majesty, strength and joy that is in His presence!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.