Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, August 12, 2019

10 Times!


The heat index today is projected to reach as high as 112 degrees here in the Tulsa area of Oklahoma!  But that’s okay with me as I plan to enjoy the comfort of my air-conditioned apartment while I catch up on my “To-Do” list.  Last week was crazy busy… but I thoroughly enjoyed it.


I had some good friends from the Denver area visit toward the end of the week, so I spent the first three days completing many urgent “move” projects, cleaning house… what little there is to clean… and getting a much-needed haircut.  When they arrived on Thursday afternoon, we had a wonderful and whirlwind time eating at nice restaurants, touring around the area, playing with the dog, who I think thought that our guests came solely to visit him… and having lots of great conversations as we caught up on the happenings of each other’s families and personal lives.  I can’t say enough about our time together… I enjoyed it tremendously and was blessed beyond measure.


On Saturday morning I attended a men’s fellowship breakfast with the church I’ve just begun attending and was received with open arms and made to feel like I’d been there forever.  What a terrific group of Godly men!  I do believe that I have found my new church home.


Only a week or so ago I was wondering if I’d ever fit into the new chapter of life that I was kind of tossed into with Piper’s passing almost a year ago now.  I’ve heard stories of individuals who have lost a spouse falling into a sort of void, or life-less no man’s land for months or sometimes years.  And I will admit that there were a few days after the initial busy-ness of the move from North Carolina, where I faced the reality of life without my wife without any known plan or purpose… which, let me tell you… could be a very scary place if you let it!


But I am so thankful for Piper’s and my years of training in and dependence on the Word of God during the difficult times of life… especially when you can see absolutely NO physical answer to your situation… when His Word is the ONLY direction leading you, and the ONLY hope you have to hang onto!


Hebrews 11:6 tells us that “without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (KJV)  To me the key to this verse is the power behind our efforts to “diligently seek Him” especially when it looks like there is absolutely no answer to our need on the horizon.

I’ve been reading Ephesians 1:3-14 for a few weeks now.  On most days I sit on our balcony in the early hours of the day with my cup of coffee, my Bible and notebook, before there is much activity around the apartment grounds below me.  Proverbs 8:17 instructs us by saying: “If you seek Me early and diligently, you will find me”  …and I would have to say that those quiet early morning appointments with God that I have enjoyed for years, have been a life-saver for me!


I noticed this morning while reading in the beginning of Ephesians, that the phrases “through Christ,” “in Christ,” or “on Christ” appear 10 times.  Now, I may not be a Biblical scholar but I definitely get the idea that the Apostle Paul who penned this epistle, wanted to make a point here!  As the writer discusses the grace of God, His forgiveness of our failures, His lovingkindness toward those of us who believe in Him, the purposes and plans that He has designed specifically for you and me and the many other blessings that He has destined for us to have, Paul continually tells us that they are all accomplished and available THROUGH, IN and ON Christ!


So, let me ask you then… if this is true… doesn’t it only make sense that we would want to diligently seek HIM within the truth of HIS WORD on a regular and consistent basis for everything that we face in our lives?  


That may sound like a NO-BRAINER, but you would be surprised to see where people turn when things come up that turn their lives upside down!  Piper and I were most definitely surprised with the reactions of some people we knew, when they were faced with the realities of Piper’s deteriorating health.  


Do you know how you would respond when faced with a potentially life-changing situation?  For us, the decision was made well-before the emergency ever came up… how about you?


Have a blessed week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to diligently focus my hope and efforts THROUGH, IN and ON Christ, when the situations of life turn sideways before me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.