Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Works...


The New Testament book of James is one of my favorite reads when observed from a pastoral viewpoint.  The encouraging and instructive words within its pages drip with a pastor’s heart of love for his people.  As I continued to look at what James termed as the Royal Law of Love, I began to see certain teachings that I have believed throughout my Christian walk in a new or expanded light.  Over the years I have heard (and preached) countless sermons focused on the need for Believer’s to put feet to their faith.  Pastor James’ teaching as remembered in James 2:17 has always been a foundational verse in my understanding of that truth.  The Murdock translation states it as: “So faith alone, without works, is dead.”
When you combine this scripture with the definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1 and then follow it up with the examples of those listed in the heroes of our faith later on in that same chapter as well as with the physical ministry of Jesus in the Gospels and the Apostle’s ministry in the book of Acts, it is clear as how we are taught to demonstrate or prove our faith in the biblical truths that we are believing and walking in throughout our lives.  So while I still wholeheartedly believe in the necessity of walking out our faith, I did begin to see the meaning of James’ words within the actual context in which he was teaching this truth.
When one reads from the first two chapters of the book of James you will see that the pastor is teaching his congregation about the importance of reaching out and touching the lives of others with the love of God.  He is instructing them about the practical side of The Royal Law of Love!  He talks about watching what you say to others, being patient, not preferring certain individuals over others because of the way they may look, and about taking the time to assist those in need.  Then he sums it all up with a clear example that everyone could understand by saying:
“What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?  Can faith save him?  If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,’ but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?  Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” (James 2:14-17 NKJV)
As I studied this out over the last two days, I clearly saw that James is calling those things that he terms “works” as doing whatever it takes to be obedient to the Royal Law of Love! My favorite God’s Word translation says “If you don’t provide for that person’s physical needs, what good does it do?”  The Easy to Read Version of the bible tells us in James 2:8 that “One law rules over all other laws.  This royal law is found in the Scriptures: ‘Love your neighbor the same as you love yourself.’  If you obey this law you are doing right.”
It would seem that James was teaching his congregation that Christianity is a very tangible religion.  According to Merriam-Webster that means a Christian’s actions should be “easily seen or recognized – able to be touched or felt.”  My wife’s and my personal experience over the last few years tells me that there are a lot of folks out there that haven’t been taught that lesson!  I can’t tell you what it means to me when someone reaches out and physically takes a moment to touch my wife and become involved with her, if it only be for a few moments.
There are two ladies in our neighborhood that we pass fairly often during our daily walks around the park-like setting of our little community.  And while most others we see along the way will pass us by with a simple “Hi”, these two older women always stop for a moment and converse with us.  Then one of them invariably reaches out and puts her hand on Piper’s shoulder and smiles or waves to her.  Their love and compassion is evident by their actions… and it chokes me up every time!  And you know… I don’t even know their names or whether they are Believer’s or not.  I guess it really doesn’t matter because their actions show where their hearts are!
Well, what do you think?  I know that this has sure got me thinking about how I am (or need to be more) obedient to the Royal Law of Love in my daily life!  What works do you act out in your life that demonstrate your faith?  It is real easy to tell someone to be warm and filled… but it takes a notch out of our busy schedules to fix then a meal…  Have a great day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.