Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Royal Law...


Back in the 1980’s my wife and I followed and supported a particular TV ministry.  They had a weekly broadcast of their Sunday morning services that we would turn on and watch as we got ready for our own church service.  At this time we were beginning to cut out teeth, sort of say, as Praise and Worship leaders at our small local fellowship.  We had recently left the church where I had started out in the ministry as the Youth Minister.  During that time I normally led our own growing youth group in weekly singspirations and also had the privilege of leading large groups of youth in song at many regional American Baptist Churches of the West Snow Camps in the Tahoe area.
After we had been at the new church for a short while, the Pastor asked my wife and I to sing a special during a church service.  Then when the Pastor’s wife had to miss a few Sunday’s for the birth of their fourth or fifth child, we were asked to fill in leading Praise and Worship for her.  Well, as it turns out… we were asked to take over the position permanently and humbly jumped at the opportunity.  The only problem I soon found out was that leading a congregation into the throne room of God through anointed Praise and Worship was quite different than from leading junior and senior high kids in rambunctious songs!  Needless to say, we had a steep learning curve ahead of us, but thank God that He, our Pastors and the congregation were very patient and merciful to us!
One of the reasons we made a point to watch the TV ministry each week was to observe the Praise and Worship team lead their 8000 plus member church.  Their worship leader was very talented, very exuberant and masterfully led the church into God’s presence as he prepared the congregation to receive the Word with an open, sensitive and reverent heart.  Even now, after all these years, I still remember his techniques and openness to the leading of the Spirit.  I also remember one of the sermons that the Pastor of that ministry preached so long ago entitled “The Royal Law of Love.” That particular teaching so moved me at the time that I ordered a CD (remember those?) of the message and literally wore the tape out because I listened to it so much!
For some reason, that title popped into my mind this morning as I was getting dressed and began to pray over my morning quiet time in the Word.  So with no further direction, I opened up my Bible to James chapters one and two where this royal decree is spoken of by the pastor of the church in Jerusalem.  James 2:8 tells us that “if you really fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself,’ you do well.” (NKJV)  Adam Clarke’s commentary states that “This law… is a royal law, not only because it is ordained from God and proceeds from his kingly authority over men, but because it is so useful, so suitable and necessary to the present state of man.”
I would go as far as to say that this royal law is probably THE foundational basis for the strikingly new and dynamic teaching that Jesus introduced to mankind!  Over the years, this truth has had the power to change my life, to change the way I respond to others, and to change the way I think about myself.  It has also been an evolving process that seems to be continually unfolding new layers and depths as I proceed along the path of my life.
Hummm… the Royal Law of Love.  There is a lot there to consider!  So, we’ll dig into this subject a little more throughout this week.  In the meantime, consider how this law that all begins with His unfailing and non-judgmental love for you and me is the royal decree that supersedes every activity and should be the one true guide for all we say and do in our daily lives.  Have a terrific week!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

1 comment:

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.