Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, November 1, 2013

The Light of Life!

I had an opportunity to see the truth and power of God’s Word in action yesterday afternoon.  My 92 year old Dad has been in an assisted living residence for a little over a year now.  Last week he had an incident that at first was thought to be a major stroke.  My sister had called and strongly suggested that we get down there as soon as possible.  So, we jumped into the car and hurried off.  Well, by the time we got there he was sitting up in bed and looking good!  Whew!  The medical personnel seemed to think it was a reaction to an infection.  He was given antibiotics and has been resting comfortably.  Since then he continues to sleep a lot and doesn’t always recognize his guests or make much sense when he talks.

My wife and I went to visit him yesterday.  When we were signing in I asked the receptionist how he was doing.  She smiled, got a little quiet and said, “about the same.”  So I smiled warmly back to her and replied that we’d just go see if we could cheer him up a little.
When we got up to his room, the lights were out and he was fast asleep.  As I entered I flipped on the lights and called out to him.  Well, low and behold, he woke right up, recognized us as we drew near to the bed and welcomed us.  We spent about 45 minutes with him and he seemed happy to see us.  He understood our various conversations, and replied accordingly.  I told him many of the funny things that we had been encountering lately and he laughed a lot.  At one point my wife, who was sitting quietly in her transport chair, looked up and gave my Dad a great big smile to which he smiled back and commented on how good she looked.
When we left and were walking down the corridor to the elevator, I was relating to my wife about how positive he seemed to be doing when it suddenly hit me.  Even though he has been quiet and out of touch with others who have visited him, he was fairly sharp and alert with us.  Why was that?  Well, I believe it was because of the “light of life” that was shining brightly through us. (John 8:12 KJV)  In John 6:33 Jesus told His followers that “I am the bread of life.” (God’s Word ©)  Then in verse 35 He declares that He gives that same life to us.  This is also foretold in Deuteronomy 30:20 and again stated in John 10:10.  That life is the God kind of Zoe, “absolute fullness of life, a life that is active and vigorous.”  It describes “one who is possessed of vitality or is animate.” (Thayer’s Greek Definitions)
It was that life in us that I believe energized my Dad!  On the day following his medical trauma last week, I spoke to my sister and she paused at one point in the conversation and said, “You know, he is never that alert when I’m there with him.”  I sort of laughed it off and told her it was probably because I hadn’t seen him for a while.  But after I hung up I thought about what she said and then recalled the scriptures in the book of John.
I am sure that even though I made a point to be “up” when we visited him yesterday, and while I tend to use humor as a tool to help relax people, I KNOW that it was the power of God’s life that made the difference in that room yesterday and last week as well.  Think about that for a moment… You have the very light of God’s abundant life in you.  That life in you can make a difference anywhere you go!  All you have to do is give it an opportunity and the ability to shine.  So when you go out this weekend, let the light of that active and vigorous life shine brightly and without reserve through you!  You can and WILL make a difference in someone’s life.  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What LIFE am I expecting to SHINE on someone today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.