Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, November 15, 2013

Kodak Instamatic 100...

I have had a love for photography for as long as I can remember.  From my very first camera, a Kodak Instamatic 100 in elementary school, to my first professional, full system camera I purchased soon after my wife and I were married in the mid-seventies.  It was a Canon F-1 and I thought that I was in seventh heaven!  I still have that well-worn camera today and even though the light meter is a stop or two off, it is still in good mechanical condition!  Over the years I have owned many different format cameras.  During the last ten years I made the gradual transition from film to digital and finally purchased a single lens reflex digital camera a couple of years ago.

My passion for photography also turned into a good side business for us.  For many years my wife and I shot wedding photos as well as specializing in outdoor portraiture.  I worked as a photographer for a newspaper for a few of years and later on even sold cameras and supplies at a professional camera store in downtown Santa Rosa.  That was like working in a candy store for me!  But it all came into focus (pun intended!) with my first photo class as a senior in high school.  In my junior year I had bought my first SLR camera which was a Minotla SRT 101.  (I wish I still had that camera, but I sold it in the late 80’s in order to get another new high end Canon 35mm model with a motor drive.)  I took the photo class because I wanted to get serious about my photography.  We were kind of blessed in that our instructor was a well-known local arts photographer who had actually published a few books with his unique photography subjects.
Well, you’ll never guess who the subject for my very first project was… You’re right, it was my lovely wife to be, Piper!  I remember how proud I was when I went to show my first 8X10 black and white, self-processed in the school darkroom portrait of my favorite girl in her short sleeved brown sweater, to my business class teacher who I had developed a good relationship with.  He was also a photographer and did weddings on the side (in fact he did ours!).  He was very diplomatic and gentle with me as he explained the importance of focus when you are framing and shooting your picture.  While my portrait was framed and posed well, it was slightly fuzzy.  As I examined the photo with him at his desk that morning, I became aware that all of Piper’s cute freckles had sort of blurred together!
That conversation has stuck with me throughout the many years since then.  In fact I think about it almost every time I take a picture!  Even with the auto-focus technology on most cameras today.  I still tend to verify the auto focus with a manual override as I push the newer multipoint focusing systems to their limits!  I have grown to be a real stickler for a clearly focused subject.
My study in I Thessalonians 5:24 reminded me of my photo background today.  This verse in this section of scripture that I have been meditating on all week summarizes the entire chapter by stating “He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.” (NKJV)  In this chapter the Apostle Paul is encouraging his readers to focus on the One who called them rather than on the last day’s events or the signs, wonders and miracles that were promised to those of us who believe and act on His name (see Mark 16:17-20).  Vincent’s Word Studies comments on this verse by saying: “The emphasis is on the person rather than on the act.”
One of the important lessons that I have learned through this journey with my wife’s health is that our very survival depends on, as the Jamison, Fausset and Brown commentary states, looking “to God’s faithfulness to His promises, God’s zeal for His honor and God’s love for those whom He calls,” rather than continually looking for the physical evidence that what we are believing for, in accordance to His Word, is working or coming to pass.
We have an older friend who I worked for quite a bit after leaving my job at The Home Depot in order to spend more time caring for my wife.  She was one of the few individuals during those first chaotic months who stood with us.  She was also the first one to tell me about the government benefits that we eventually took advantage of.  She has been very encouraging to us, but definitely tells you rather bluntly what she is thinking!  The last few times we visited her she would encourage me in my quest to care for Piper, but at the same time point out how terrible she thought my wife looked!  I would then tell her that since I spend so much time with my spouse, that I am keenly aware of all the little miracles that we see in her on a daily basis, and it is on the basis of God and His Word as He has caused those little miracles, that I can smile, stay strong and keep doing what I do for her.  That usually snaps her back into faith and into agreement with us!
God is faithful and that is good enough for me to know!  How about you?  Where is your focus today?  Does your auto-focus automatically focus on what is happening around you or does it zoom in on the truth and faithfulness of God and His Word?  Sometimes you have to switch off the auto button and go with the manual override to stay connected to His faithfulness!  Think about it…
Have a great weekend!  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.