Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sitting with the Dog...

If you haven’t picked up on it already, let me tell you… I REALLY enjoy my quiet time alone with the Lord every morning!  With everything going on in my life right now, it is the one time of respite, peace and refreshing that sets me on the right course for the adventures that may face me during the upcoming day.  I reflected upon all this today, as I sat down on the couch next to our dog, just before I went in to help my wife get ready for the day.

I had finished my study, deposited my note book on the kitchen table and found myself “drawn” to our black with copper socks Australian Shepherd who was all snuggled up in a ball on one corner of our white leather couch.  When I softly sat beside her and began to scratch her on the head, she slightly opened one eye, stretched out her front paws and rolled over on her side.  After a moment or two she fell back asleep in the peace and comfort of my presence and gentle stroking of her fur.
It was one of those quiet and reflective moments of time in the calm of the morning in our living room.  As I looked over at Mandie and thought about how relaxed she was and how she seemed to be enjoying the moment with me, I reflected about how this is what it must be  like in the presence of the Lord.  The room was warm as I had turned on the heater when I got out of bed a little over an hour before, and the peace was almost overwhelming!
In my study time I had been reading and meditating on the scriptures around the verse from John 6:44 that we talked about in yesterday’s blog post.  Previous to this verse, the people in Jerusalem had been complaining about Jesus and were debating over the fact that they thought they knew who He was because they knew His earthly parents.  When He talked about heavenly things they debunked His doctrine as they considered Him to be just a local kid who couldn’t possibly understand the things He spoke of, much less be who He declared He really was!  Their preconceived ideas and erroneous opinions clouded their vision of the truth.
As I pondered Jesus’ predicament, I was reminded of the similar trials and tribulations that I have faced from well-meaning (I have to believe that they were well-meaning…) relatives and Christian friends who made erroneous statements and accusations toward me as the journey with the battle for my wife’s health has developed.  I was also reminded of a recent conversation with a friend who is also fighting a similar personal battle caused by the words and actions of some that he trusted and served.
I’m sure that many of you have faced like situations in your own life, and I understand that they are difficult to work through and come to the point where you can forgive, forget and turn your thoughts and actions toward loving those who have hurt you.  I believe that there comes the time when we have to simply let go of the pain and those who inflicted it, yield them to God and allow Him to draw them, through the power and actions of His Holy Spirit working in them, to Jesus. 
John 6:44 in the Contemporary English Version tells us that “No one can come to me (Jesus), unless the Father who sent me makes them want to come.  But if they do come I will…”  Jesus said that He is the only one who can help them to see the truth and when they do finally yield to it and come to Him that He will… be free to do whatever needs to be done in them to help them and the situation as a whole.
Sitting there this morning with the pooch helped me to have a visual understanding of the peace that can envelope us as we yield the problem situations, the devastating hurts and the unsettling moments in our lives over to Him and then simply recline in His presence as He puts His arms around us and holds us close.  I tell you, that this is a much better feeling than constantly rehearsing the wrongs that have been inflicted on you!
I would rather spend a few moments in the warmth and peace of His presence, than anytime complaining about the wrongs I have faced and experienced in my life.  How about you?  Have a great day!  Stay in tune to His Word and His peace and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.