Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

CB Radios

The Bible talks a lot about prayer, but one of the most outrageous statements is found in I Thessalonians 5:17 where it simple instructs us to “never stop praying.” (God’s Word ©)  As I entered into my study this morning, I asked the one who Jesus said would teach us all things, the Holy Spirit, to give me some insight on this verse.  After reading many different translations and commentaries on this it, I personally came to the conclusion that the International Standard Version might just have the closest rendition of the true meaning to the point that the Apostle Paul was trying to relay to his readers.  It states that we should “continually be prayerful.”

While church tradition has nicknamed James, the leader of the church in Jerusalem, who wrote the New Testament book that bears his name, “Old Camel Knees” due to the thick callouses that he was proposed to have had on his knees due to the hours he spent in prayer, I propose the idea that this verse is more attune to us having a continual attitude of prayer rather than a direct command to be in the position of prayer communing with our heavenly Father all day and night.
I once read where John G. Lake, the renowned missionary to Africa and faith healer of the early 20th century, once wrote that he had learned to run in prayer with God twenty four hours a day.  He talked about learning to be in constant communication with God no matter what he was doing.  Smith Wigglesworth, another great evangelist who was active around the same time of Lake, similarly declared that he was never out of prayer with God for more than fifteen minutes at a time.
Once again, I sense that to “pray without ceasing” (KJV) defines an attitude of a heart that is continually in tune to the things of God.  It is a life that is sensitive and obedient to the Lord’s voice.  Jesus said “If you live in me and what I say lives in you, then ask for anything you want and it will be yours.” (God’s Word ©)  This entails having a relationship with our heavenly Father that is in constant communication with Him.
I know that in my relationship with my wife, that I have never liked being out of communication with her.  When I was away from her at work, I obviously couldn’t stay in constant communication, but we would always call each other a few times each day.  We talked before I left and each of us had a pretty good idea of what the other was up to while we would be apart.  We communicated enough that we felt quite in touch and close to each other throughout the day.
In my walk with the Lord, I always feel like I have an open line of two-way communication with Him 24/7.  I interact with Him throughout the day.  It’s like I never hang up the phone!  At the same time, I also set aside regular times where I am fully focused on Him in prayer.  These are very special times that allow me to give Him all of my attention so I can talk and listen without interruption.
When I bought my first car back in 1973, CB radios were the biggest rage and I just had to get one for my 1966 MGB.  With that radio I had the capability to stay in contact with all my friends.  When my wife and I would drive three hours to and back home from Chico State University for school in separate cars we were able to talk to each other through the CB’s I had installed in both vehicles.
I guess you could say that prayer is sort of like those CB radios we had.  Even though we were separated from each other we still had the means to speak to one another.  The one big difference was that the CB was not very private!  I could not share my intimate feelings with her over the radio as anyone listening on the same channel could hear and enter into the conversation.  Prayer, on the other hand, gives each of us a separate, fully secure channel to talk with God!  You also don’t have to know the CB lingo in order to talk with God.  You can simply be yourself and share from the deepest regions of you heart.
Sounds like He made it pretty simply for us!  So get in on the action and tune into to Him.  Remember that prayer is a two-way communication between you and God, and there is nothing better than hearing Him tell you how much He loves you, supports you, and will guide you throughout each day of your life.  There is no better feeling than finishing your prayer at the end of the day, turning off the light and hearing Him gently say to you as you lay your head down on your pillow… “10-4 Good Buddy!”
Have a good day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting TO TALK WITH GOD ABOUT today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.