Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, November 4, 2013

Draw!

After I prayed for direction in my morning bible study time today, I was led to read John 6:44.  In this verse Jesus tells us that “No man can come to me, unless the Father who sent me, shall draw him…” (James Murdock New Testament)  When I read this, I was drawn (no pun intended!) to the phrase: “shall draw him.”  John Gill in his “Exposition on the Entire Bible” comments that people are drawn to Jesus “through the powerful and efficacious grace… and with the bands of love.”

Then I thought about how we, as His children, should be vessels of His love and grace on this earth.  2 Corinthians 3:2 says that we are His epistles or letters “known and read of all men.” (KJV)  In other words, our words, our actions, and our lives should actively be drawing unbelievers to the Good News of Jesus Christ!  The next question that arises in my mind is “How?”
Well, the word “draw” gives us a good indication of this task.  According to Thayer’s Greek Definitions, one definition of this term is “to draw by inward power, to lead or to impel.”  The idea of impelling someone to the Gospel caught my attention.  According to Webster impel means “to drive or urge forward; to press on; to excite to action or to move forward.”  Now that type of example was simple and clear for me to understand!  We are called to “draw” others to Jesus by our encouraging example of the Christian life.
I was sharing with my wife at breakfast a few moments ago about how this was always the way we led in our ministry to the various children’s, youth and single’s groups that we served throughout the years.  While I tend to be a little quiet and reserved in small groups (until I get to know the folks I am with), I become very passionate and lively when placed in a position of leadership over larger groups of people.   I was thinking that a good example of this would be the multiple Vacation Bible Schools we held.
I would consider organization and planning to be one of my strengths.  I usually enjoy the writing, planning and organization of an event as much as I do the event itself.  When it came to our VBS programs, I would try to plan and organize everything so that the event would run smoothly.  By the time we opened our doors each day, our whole team was set and ready to go!
I would normally be the first one to arrive in the morning to make sure things were ready for our leadership team.  Then after their arrival I would make myself available to help the team as they set up their perspective areas of responsibility.  About fifteen minutes before “go time” I would gather the troops and encourage them and build up their excitement for the day’s events.  Then when everybody was in place and the doors were opened, I would go out front with the welcoming team and greet, encourage and excite the parents as they dropped off their kids.
At the given time, my wife and I and our teen worship assistants would then lead the kids, who were assembled in their various teams, in encouraging and exciting action songs.  Once they were all built up and enthusiastic about their day, we would begin the activities.  At the end of the session we would gather in the multipurpose room for closing songs and encouragement and then build more enthusiasm for them to return for the next day’s exciting events.
And you know, all the enthusiasm and excitement that was demonstrated wasn’t just a show.  For me it was a natural expression of the joy and commitment that I and our entire leadership team felt inside.  I believe that this is also the way that we are to live our daily lives.  Simply as an expression of the love and excitement we feel as a normal response to our relationship with Jesus Christ.
If you’re not feeling this way, or lack joy in certain areas your life, then maybe it is time to recharge your batteries!  Be honest before the Lord.  Tell Him what you’re feeling and or needing and obediently follow His leading.  He, more than anyone else, wants you to live the abundant, rewarding life that only He can give!  He desires your life and mine to be a “draw” to those around us!  Have a great week.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.