Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Too Busy!

Hebrews 2:14 tells us that “Since all of these sons and daughters have flesh and blood, Jesus took on flesh and blood to be like them.” (God’s Word ©) A couple of verses later the writer of Hebrews completes his (or her) thought by declaring “So Jesus helps Abraham’s descendants rather than helping angels.” (Hebrews 2:16) 

Have you ever considered about the many ways in which Jesus helps us, the descendants of Abraham?   I’ve come to see that Jesus became like us so that He could help us through the personal example of the way He lived His life while on this earth.  One of the lessons that I learned through His example was to stop telling everyone how “busy” I was when they asked how I was doing!  That declaration became a mainstay in my life for many years.
Being “too busy” became the convenient excuse I used whenever I was asked to do something I really didn’t want to do!  And after a while, I came to the point that whether I really was or not, I always felt like I was “too busy” to the point that it became an added strain on my life!  The realization of this cycle that I was caught in came to my attention through my experience with a ministry mentor.
I guess you actually say that it was kind of a back-door lesson.  One day in talking to this wise and loving individual, I realized that he always seemed to start off our conversations with a salutation that included how “busy” he was.  On that particular day that word “busy” just sort of jumped out of the conversation and lit up like a big light in my head… because I realized how much it annoyed me and that I was doing the same thing!
At that very moment I promised myself that I was not going to automatically talk about how “busy” I was anymore.  I soon came to the conclusion that most of us make the time to do the things that we really want to do, whether we are “busy” or not.  This may sound funny, but as soon as I stopped telling everyone that I was “busy” I felt a sense of relief and peace!  I suddenly felt like I had more time to accomplish the things that were on my plate!
In the natural realm of things I probably was very “busy” as I’ve always held a full time secular job as well as a part-time ministry position that during many seasons of the calendar year turned into a second full time excursion!  When you add family time and side jobs, my time could definitely be considered to be an issue!  But once I stopped making the confession of always being “busy”, I actually felt like I could trust the Lord more and found myself able to complete more tasks and not feel so tired about it.
As I meditated on those two verses in Hebrews earlier today, I thought about how “busy” Jesus was in His earthly ministry.  Yet He always took or made the time to minister to the individual needs of those around Him.  Think about the women with the issue of blood and the Synagogue leader whose daughter He was on the way to minister to when this lady touched His garment.  Then there was the incident when Jesus stopped to talk to the children and His disciples tried to shoo them off because they felt that He was “too busy” for them.  And the examples go on and on!
Jesus set the example for you and me to follow that He was never “too busy” to do what His Father wanted Him to do.  Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us to “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths.” (KJV)  I think that this verse perfectly explains what we need to do.  Instead of directing our own paths by telling everyone how “busy” we are, we should instead, trust in Him enough as to allow Him to direct our daily schedule!
When we throw in our lot with Him and trust Him for our time, we suddenly find out what a poor excuse being “too busy” is, especially when it comes to Kingdom responsibilities.  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting TO DO FOR HIM today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.