Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pasture

When I was following a rabbit trail in one of my morning studies over the weekend, I found myself captivated by the thought of being in God’s pasture as stated in Psalm 100:3.  The last part of that verse tells us that “we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.” (KJV)  As I meditated on this, I pictured a rather large fenced in pasture that ran up the hillside along a road that we traveled on almost daily when we lived north of town about fifteen years ago.  The pasture was always occupied with a flock of white sheep.

Over the years we would watch with interest the activities of the critters and those who cared for them.  It was especially fun to watch them during the lambing season when the ewes gave birth to their young.  At this time there was activity in the pasture day and night!  There was one older gentleman in particular that we assumed was the owner and/or shepherd of the flock.  We would see him out in the field more than anyone else.  He demonstrated a great love, care and tenderness toward his flock.  It also seemed that the sheep were very comfortable in his presence and actually drawn to him when he entered into the pasture.  It was evident that the lambs felt safe and protected in his presence!
Psalm 100:3 insinuates that we are just like those sheep while we are in God’s pasture.  As long as we stay within the boundaries of His pasture we are safe, protected and well cared for.  Psalm 23:2 informs us that “He makes me lie down in green pastures.” (God’s Word ©)  The Greek translation of this verse declares, “In the place of tender shoots, there he encamped me.” (Apostolic Bible Polyglot)  The phrase “tender shoots” describes a “green” place. (Thayer’s)  And Webster defines this as a “properly growing and flourishing” place.  Wikipedia states that “green is the color most commonly associated with spring and hope.”
Well, that’s the place I certainly want to set up my tent!  How about you?  For many the old adage (and most times false statement) that “the grass is always greener on the other side” will draw them to step out of God’s pasture and thereby out of his protective care and support.  But for me, I choose to stay within the realm of His jurisdiction!  Within His borders I find joy, strength and that peace that surpasses all understanding in the midst of troubled times! (see Philippians 4:7)
I want to be seen as one who is on the winning team!  I want to be like those contented, plump sheep that lived on that hillside pasture near our home many years ago.  How about you?  Have another great day.  Stay in tune to His Word (the GPS that keeps us within the borders of His pasture), and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.