Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, October 21, 2013

Background Checks...

I guess you could say that I have an inquisitive mind.  Whenever I read a book, I like to do a little background research on the author.  This information helps me to better see things from the writer’s background and perspective. I was slightly stymied last night as I sought to find some pertinent information on the author of a “gem” that I picked up at our local “Friends of the Sonoma County Library” Book Faire a couple of weeks ago.  It is a book originally written in 1914 about one of the most well-known and popular evangelist of his time, Billy Sunday.  So far I’ve discovered that the author was a personal friend of the subject and a doctor.  But that is where the trail dead ends.  But, I don’t give up easy, so I’ll keep the research going until I am satisfied.

At that same Book Faire I picked up an old copy of “The New Testament in Modern English” by J.B. Philips.  This paraphrase was one of the favorite bibles of the first pastor I served under from 1975 through 1980.  It was the “Message Bible” of its day!  This particular copy got my attention not only because you don’t see this paraphrase around too much anymore and that the only copy I have is in a worn out, large newspaper style six translation bible I picked up years ago, but because it’s pages were filled with hand written notes, held many 3X5 outline filled notecards and had an old photo stuffed in it as well!
It seemed evident to me that the previous owner was either a mature student of God’s Word, or maybe even a pastor.  As you probably figured out, I also enjoy reading other’s notes from their bibles to see where they are at in their understanding of the Word of Life.  Well, my research mode kicked into gear and after a while I finally came across a genealogy site that listed information on the previous owner.  It turns out that he was originally from Colorado, but spent his last years in my home town.  He was a leader within his church denomination and the snapshot hidden in the middle of the book was of his beloved first wife who had passed early in their marriage.
Now as I read through the pages of this paraphrase and glance at his notes, I feel like I have a strong sense of what was going on in his mind as he received revelation from the Word.  Psalm 100:3 encourages us to do the same thing with the original author and subject of our bibles!  Here the Word tells us to, “Know that the Lord, He is God; It is He who made us and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.” (NKJV)  Once again, that word “know” infers an on-going and very intimate knowledge with God.  So, it is not just a casual acquaintance, but as a strong marriage relationship entails an on-going investment of time and selfless effort between both partners, our knowledge and relationship with our God should also continue to develop and grow.
In what is commonly considered the greatest comprehensive pastoral and inspirational study of the Psalms ever written, Charles Spurgeon in his “Treasury of David,” states, concerning this verse, that “Our worship must be intelligent.  We ought to know whom we worship.”  How well do you know our heavenly Father?  Do you hunger and thirst to know more about Him and His eternal goodness and faithfulness that abounds forever?  (Psalms 103:5)  Well, if you want to know Him more (which is probably where we should all be!), today can be the start of a new, enriching and continually life changing and perfecting experience as you take His hand and walk with Him.  Have a great week.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting TO LEARN ABOUT GOD today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.