Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, October 14, 2013

Be Still!

Ah!  It is good to be back after a week’s time off!  Our youngest son was in California visiting for a couple of weeks and spent five days with his mom and I.  We had a great time catching up with each other, sharing what the Lord has been doing in our lives, contemplating the future and just having fun!  It was hard to drive away after we had dropped him off at our oldest son’s in Fairfield, CA where he was going to spend his last few days.  But we left with a peace in knowing that he is exactly where he needs to be in Oklahoma at this point in time.  My theory is that since God started this whole thing by directing us to move to Oklahoma in 2006, that it is up to Him as to when our kids who are still there, will move on to His next step for them!  It is clear to see that they are currently in the perfect will of God, and I for one, am not going to mess that up by whining about when they are moving back home!

I had taken all kinds of notes for the blog as I spent my usual time alone with the Lord each morning last week and have been excited to share with you, but as I quieted myself before Him today, I felt compelled to go another way.  My mind was going in many directions as I pulled up to my desk, and began to go through those notes.  The more I looked the less clarity I received!  I finally pushed back from my desk, closed my eyes and asked the Lord for His directions.  After a few moments in prayer I sensed the Lord quietly tugging at my heart telling me to just be quiet before Him.
As I sat there trying to empty my thoughts and be still, the first few words from Psalm 46:10 softly spoke to me saying, “Be still and know that I am God…” (KJV)  And that’s all it took to find myself in total solace and peace.  The hum of the computer fan, the forced air home heater and the sounds of the birds singing their morning calls from outside all faded away.  Suddenly I was alone in His presence, and even though it was only for a moment of time, it was wonderful!
The Greek translation of this verse encourages us to Relax and know that I am God…” (Apostolic Bible Polyglot), literally meaning to “take a holiday (and/or) be at leisure” (Strong’s)  It reminded me of the many “holidays” my wife and I would take during the winter months at some of the different lodges along the spectacular northern California coast.  Those were times of rest and recreation.  They were also times where my total attention was focused on my lovely wife!  During those two nights of private respite we spend time holding hands as we walked along the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean and sitting in patio chairs on the deck watching the distant waves, graceful birds, the occasional fishing boat or the pretty flowers that sprouted from the hardy groundcover.
But I think the best times were spent just sitting quietly with her as we enjoyed the undistracted time in each other’s company!  Sometimes we barely left the room and just spent hours sitting at the table together listening to the sounds of the distant waves and the occasional words we would share!  I still can’t think of anything that I enjoy more than being alone with her, and I know that she would say the same thing about being with me.
As I thought about those special times, the Lord whispered in my ear that this is the same experience that He wants us to have with him!  He wants us to enjoy spending undistracted time alone with Him.  Just being in His presence, being thrilled by His touch, hearing the peace and encouragement of His voice, absorbing the fragrance of His being and experiencing the overwhelming intimacy of His love.
The Sermon Bible Commentary tells us in reference to being still and knowing God, that “We cannot know this deep and eternal truth unless we are still.  But on the other hand, this knowledge will make us still.”  When was the last time that you were REALLY still in His presence?  Being totally quiet, undistracted and without any other thoughts rummaging through your conscious mind?  For me it had been quite a while!  And while I spend regular time with Him studying His Word each morning, I have to admit that it has been difficult for me to just STOP and be still!  How about you?
I might suggest that you get away from the busyness of your life as soon as possible and be still before him!  I am sure that you will be pleasantly surprised at how much peace and restoration you will receive and the oneness you feel with Him.  Have a great week.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.