Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Acting on the Stage

As I was reading from Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary this morning concerning Hebrews 3:1, I was immediately drawn to the thought of an actor’s portrayal of a particular character for a script written for a public performance.  Henry stated that “Christ is to be considered the Apostle of our profession, the Messenger sent by God to men, the great Revealer of that faith which we profess to hold, and that hope which we profess to have.”  A question popped into my mind that dealt with the phrase “which we profess to hold.”  And I considered if our personal faith was just an ACT or is it REALLY what we believe and what we live.

I’ve been on the stage in front of an audience since I was in kindergarten when I stepped out in front of our class that was lined up on the stage of the old auditorium at the old St Rose School in downtown Santa Rosa, California to sing a solo at our prestigious graduation ceremony!  Over the years I have become very comfortable in front of large groups of people.  I’ve enjoyed leading singing, being the master of ceremonies at events, directing dramatic and/or musical endeavors, and preaching and /or teaching with children, youth or adults.  But I am not real comfortable at acting in front of people.  I just like to be myself when I’m on a stage.
All of these thoughts and memories this morning were a continuation of a conversation I had with a good Christian friend last night as I drove him home from a Men’s Bible Study we had just participated in.  I was commenting to him how grateful I was to the men of his church who reached out to me, without hesitation, when they heard of our situation.  When John suggested to his Bible Study group that he had a friend who had not attended church for quite a while as he was taking care of his wife, they immediately opened up their hearts and their wallets to provide for a qualified caregiver to come in and be with my wife so that I could attend the study on a regular basis!
Now mind you, except for one of the Pastor’s vague remembrance of when my family and I attended this church back in the early nineties for about six months while we were in the initial stages of starting the church that we became a part of for fifteen years, none of these men knew my wife or me.  They only saw a need and didn’t think twice about being a part of the solution.  These men are not actors who portray a different character for each of the various scenes in life, they simply live their honest true faith.  It’s just who they are!
On the other hand, I continued in my conversation with my friend in the car, I related how I have been so frustrated and confused at some of the Christian individuals whom I expected to be a part of the solution to our needs and they failed to come through.  With some of them actually becoming a major contributor to the intensity of the problem!
In studying out Hebrews 3:1 this morning, I came to realize that in many respects, these folks are like actors performing on the stage.  They will act out various roles or play different characters that comfortably fit into whatever scene they are in at the time.  On the other hand, the men at the church didn’t step into the role of someone else when pressed with a need, they simply, without a second thought, responded with what was really inside… the love of Christ.
Well, that really got me to do a personal inventory this morning!  When I get up in the morning and step out onto the stage of life, do I carry a trunk filled with the various costumes that I may have to wear in order to best play the various characters I might need to act throughout the day, or am I just me?  Is the real me the man of my heart who loves God and seeks to be an example of His love and His grace to all I meet and in the midst of any situation that I should be involved with?  Or am I a great actor whose various character roles disguise who he or she really is?
Like I said earlier, I really do not like to act!  What you see is what you get… and hopefully it is a representation of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  How about you?  Have a good day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or WHO am I expecting to be today?”HoHowh   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.