Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 2, 2012

What a Great Weekend!


“Be thankful in all circumstances.
 This is what God wants from you
 in your life in union with Christ Jesus.”
                                 (I Thessalonians 5:18 – Good News Bible)

Well my wife and I sure had something to be thankful for over the weekend.  Our good friends Luther, his fiancée Kristina and her two fun loving children flew in from Denver, Colorado and spent the day with us.  Needless to say, we had a wonderful time.  Luther even conceited to watch the Giants baseball game with me!  When you take into consideration that he is a die-hard Colorado Rockies fan - that had to be the ultimate symbol of friendship!

Kristina’s two children William and Jane absolutely loved our pooch and played continuously with her for almost three hours.  The only time that Mandie got a little confused is when the kids broke out their new stuffed animals and didn’t want her to run off and play with them as well!

The icing on the cake came for me when they shooed me out of the kitchen and prepared a scrumptious meal of Luther’s famous home made enchiladas!  It was an incredible meal!  (and, I am not usually that fond of Mexican food!)  I had to admit to them that I could hardly remember the last time we had a home cooked meal that I hadn’t prepared!  Like I said it was great, and then got even better as they did all the dishes and even took out the garbage!  Wow… what a treat!  (What friendship!)

Luther and his first wife had worked quite closely with Piper and I for many years at the zenith of our Children’s Church days back in the 1990’s and early 2000’s.  They were terrific team players and quickly became a major force in our support team, as well as close personal friends.  It got to the point where it was like Luther knew what I needed before I even knew it!  The last all-church Halloween carnival/meal/program event that we worked on together went off like a dream!  We were a fantastic team and it was really hard to see them go when a promotion with Luther’s work sent them back to his home in Colorado.

We had the pleasure of meeting Kristina and her kids a couple of years ago when they came to California for a visit.  She is definitely a jewel and just the right person for Luther.  William and Jane are also great and like I said earlier, fun loving kids.  I don’t think that I have ever seen our dog so exhausted after they left!  After talking about how much we enjoyed the visit of our friends, my wife and I sat down on the love seat and Mandie immediately made room for herself beside Piper (half on Piper’s lap and half on the arm of the couch!) and fell fast asleep!

I Thessalonians 5:18 says to be thankful in all circumstances, and yesterday’s visit was one of those easy times to be thankful and we continued to rejoice this morning.  In fact, I had joked with Luther that I was going to have the leftover enchiladas for breakfast with eggs today, so I took a picture of the leftovers with a carton of eggs, a box of pancake mix, a bottle of syrup, a cup of coffee and a container of Piper’s Boost and text it off to him with a note of thanks!

There are other circumstances in life though, that may not always be too easy to be thankful in.  But that is where the little but all important phrase “your life in union with Christ Jesus” comes into play.  By ourselves, we could never have the strength or ability or “want-to” to be thankful when the “not so good things” happen to us.  But a life lived “in union with Christ Jesus” is a life that is fortified with His strength and His ability and most importantly, His LOVE!  And it is that LOVE that He has for us and that we have for Him that helps us to trust Him enough to bring us through the tough times.

So while Piper and I are thankful and rejoice over the good times of fellowshipping with our friends yesterday, maybe some of you need to release a “not so good event” in your lives over to Him, become thankful in that He will work to fix and heal the hurts and then turn it around for your advantage!  Remember, “in all these things we are MORE than conquerors through him who loved us”  (Romans 8:37 – KJV).  Have a terrific week   Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… What am I expecting today?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.