Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Well Watered Garden


This morning as I was speaking out God’s Word to my wife concerning His will for her healing, I came to a scripture declaration that is taken from John 6:33 and 35.  It says, “I am the bread of life.  I give you that life.”  Once spoken, I then began to reiterate to my wife Jesus’ definition of the word “life” which comes from the Greek word “Zoe” meaning “the absolute fullness of life, and/or a life that is vibrant and animate.”  (Thayer’s Greek Definitions)

As I was speaking, I glanced out our large patio window to our flourishing potted garden on the back deck and I began to laugh with understanding.  I pointed toward the luscious large rich green plants and exclaimed to Piper, “See, that is how God sees you, as a beautiful, strong healthy garden!”  (It’s interesting to note that as I am writing this I am reminded of one of Piper’s favorite scriptures that she used to quote a lot.  I believe it’s found in Isaiah 58:11 where it says that “Thou shalt be like a watered garden…)  Piper’s eye’s followed the direction of my outstretched arm and she smiled and nodded in agreement with my statement.  This pleasurable moment reminded me of a conversation that I had with our younger son a few days previous to today.

Jeremy and I were talking about enjoying a good cut of steak and he mentioned a restaurant that he had gone to in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area that specializes in delicious steak dinners.  In the course of the conversation I confided in him that we hadn’t been to a restaurant to eat in quite a while.  When he asked why I mentioned that I felt that it was awkward to have to feed his Mom by hand when out in public.  Then he probed a little deeper and asked if it was awkward for me or for her?  I immediately retorted that it was hard for her…  Then I paused as a pang of conviction came upon me and I had to admit that the truth was that it was probably more on my behalf.

As we honestly discussed this, I came to the realization that it is the look on other people’s faces as they look upon my wife that really bothers me – or to continue being honestHURTS me the most, especially when it is family or friends.  When I look at my wife I see a well “watered garden.”  I see a life that is “vibrant and animate.”  I see her always encouraging disposition, her smiling bright eyes and I hear her captivating laughter.  I guess I see her as I have come to know her over the last 41 plus years of our relationship together.  I even mentioned to our older daughter a few weeks ago that I am always surprised and have to check my camera to make sure that it is set right when I take a picture of her, because I just don’t see her as a current photo captures her image.

Then again, maybe it’s not just because I am seeing her as I’ve come to know her, but that I am seeing her as God, through His Word, sees her.  It would seem that the more we read and proclaim His Word each day, the more cemented is my view of her.  After all, John 6:63 records Jesus as saying “The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are (Zoe) life.” (NKJV) 

Let me ask you today… Just how do you see those around you?  Do you simply look on the outside or do you look at them through what the Word of God says about them?  If you look at them as Jesus does, then His law of love is much easier to live in your daily life.  As we look upon others through His eyes, then we are more apt to give of ourselves unconditionally without fear, but with His love.  It reminds me of the little girl who lives in the apartment complex where our older son and his family live.  When we were there a few weeks ago this little girl just seemed drawn to my wife while the other kids and their parents smiled hesitantly and kept their distance.  As we walked through the grounds she repeated came up to Piper and spoke gently to her.  It was one of the sweetest demonstrations of love that I have witnessed toward my wife in a long time, and believe me when I say that it literally brought tears to my eyes.

How will you respond to that one who may “look” a little bit different?  To that one who “looks” distressed or in need of a friend, or even may be reaching out to you?  Next time, I encourage you to think about that healthy, vibrant, well watered garden and reach out to them with the eyes and vision of Jesus. 

Have a good day, and we’ll see you again on Monday.  In the meantime, stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting TO DO today?”




1 comment:

  1. IT TURE FOR ALL U SAID GOD DOSE PLAY A BIG PART IN ARE DAILY WALK WITH HIM HE THIER NO MAETER WHAT .... GOD ALLWAY THIER GOD LOVE ALL OF US IF WE MISS UP ...

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.