Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, July 6, 2012

What a Delight!


Delight (de-light)1) “a high degree of gratification; joy: extreme satisfaction”
2)    “something that gives great pleasure < her performance 
        was a delight>”


When I first awoke this morning I rolled over on my back, closed my eyes and thought expectantly about what the Lord might want to share with me during my study time.  Within a few quick moments the word “delight” popped into my mind along with the vision of looking at some of the verses that talk about that subject in the Old Testament book of Psalms.

The unknown author of Psalm 119 seemed to best summarize everything that I read during my morning study today.  In verse 16 he stated “I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.”  (KJV)  According to our Merriam Webster dictionary definition, when we delight” in the Word of God we receive great peace and satisfaction, along with a high level of joy as we partake of the wisdom that is contained within words that were penned centuries ago by devoted men and women of God under the direction of the Holy Spirit.  They are the living words of God that makes you want to shout for joy and share its revolutionary, fullness of life with everyone!

After I read the verse from Psalm 119:16 today, I glanced to the left side of my desk and observed a stack of notes that I had complied when I was researching our Independence Day celebration a couple of days ago.  At the top of the first sheet was written the words of the Pledge of Allegiance:

“I pledge allegiance to the flag
 of the United States of America,
 and to the Republic for which it stands. 
 One nation under God,
 indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

This short reading, which was written by Francis Bellamy in 1892, was first printed in a popular children’s magazine of the day as part of the National Public-School celebration of the 400th anniversary of Columbus’ arrival in the Americas.  It was formally adopted by Congress as the pledge to our American Flag in 1942 and has been modified four times since it’s composition with the most recent being the addition of “under God” in 1954.

The words “under God” were taken from President Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.  It would seem that Lincoln spoke those words (along with “have a new birth of freedom”) under the inspiration given him at the moment, as they were not included in the written manuscript of the speech, but captured by all the reporter’s present that day in their transcripts of the actual speech.  I believe that Lincoln was seeking to invoke the original hope and intent of our founding fathers as he sough to bring our divided Union back together as one.

Even though Lincoln may not have been an active, church going Believer, I do sense that he was a man who understood the importance of a nation under God’s care and His love for all men.  He was an individual who knew that a nation that delights in God and the truth of His word is a nation that cannot be divided and could afford to its citizens “liberty and justice for all.”

Have a wonderful weekend, and take some time to “delight” in the Word of the Lord.  It will leave you with Great Expectations of His goodness happening for you.  Then when you ask yourself: “What am I expecting today?” – You’ll have His answer!  We’ll see you again on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.