Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Taking The Lead


This morning as I continued to study Paul’s dissertation concerning the authority that God has given to the Believer as stated in the first three chapters of the book of Ephesians, I was taken captive by the flowing and colorful prose of the Message Bible.  Now while I understand that this is not an actual translation but a modern paraphrase of the Word, I must admit that the author seems to have definitely captured the grandeur and scope of the way of life that the Good News of the gospel enables the Believer to live.  He sums up Paul’s prayer and expectations for the church in Ephesians 1:15-19 by stating “Oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him – endless energy, boundless strength!”

The Apostle Paul had a clear understanding of the type of life that Christ has provided for us and that our Heavenly Father expects us to pursue.  It is that same overcoming lifestyle that God promised the children of Israel way back in Deuteronomy 28:13 when He said that “the Lord will make you the head and not the tail; you shall be above only, and not beneath…”  (NKJV) All that they, as well as us today, needed to do was to put their trust in Him and follow through on His directions. 

As I leaned back in my chair this morning and meditated on these truths, I began to think about all the different and sometimes difficult tasks that I have had to accomplish in dealing with the care of my wife.  My mind was filled with the images of all the people, places and activities that I have been involved with over the last few years.  I thought of the myriad of times that I have had to explain the story of this attack on her health from beginning to the current phase, the multitude of situations where I have had to intervene when people made incorrect assumptions about us and of her needs, the enduring of the look on people’s faces when they see my wife for the first time in awhile, all the doctors offices we have been to in Oklahoma and in California, all the research, all the phone calls, all the “advice” we have received (whether good, bad or ridiculous!) and the course(s) of action we have taken.

When I finally closed my eyes and sought the Lord’s help in knowing what this was all about this morning, I heard Him quietly but firmly say to me: “You’ve got to take the lead!”  Then in an instant I understood.  For the past five years I have had to tread a totally new and unexpected path.  And even though we have sought and followed the advice from professionals in the medical, natural health and spiritual arenas, it is a walk that I have had to mainly walk alone – under the daily guidance of the Holy Spirit.  It is a walk in which I have had to take the lead, to follow through and pursue what I believe is the best course of action for my wife’s needs. 

The same is true for each of us if we are to successfully walk within the authority that we possess due to our position “in Christ.”  If we are to experience “the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him – endless energy, boundless strength” then each of us has to take the lead in our own lives to make it happen!  We can’t depend on anyone else to do it for us.  As individuals, we have to learn, understand and then step out in faith and expect God’s Word to work for us as we put His Biblical directions into action.  Remember that “that at the name of Jesus every knee must bow…” (Philippians 2:10 NKJV).  But it won’t bow UNTIL we speak it and do it!

There are a multitude of physical, spiritual and financial resources that we have taken advantage of for the care of my wife.  But none of them would have come to past if I hadn’t taken the lead, done my homework and then followed through.  It is the same with our Christian walk.  Today might just be the day when you swallow hard and take the lead and begin to live within “the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for Christians…”  (Ephesians 1:19 The Message Bible).  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.