Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Signed By The Author


Last summer when our younger son came home from Oklahoma to visit us, he presented me with a very special gift.  It was the latest volume in a series of books on church history and revival that I have immensely enjoyed reading and studying from over the years.  What made this edition even more unique was the personal greeting and signature of the author on the title page.  It turns out that my son has a friend in Tulsa who is a relative of the author.  When Jeremy mentioned that I was a great fan of the author’s work, his friend said that his uncle was coming to town and arranged for a meeting between the two of them.  This personal connection with the author (even though it is indirect) has given me cause to hold that particular book in an honored place within my private library.

All this came to mind today as I was trudging down the stairs on the way to the coffee maker.  When I reached the bottom of the staircase I broke into a big grin as I realized that I know another author, one who is the greatest author of them all!  And on top of that, I not only know Him, but I live with Him!  Hebrews 12:2 tells us who this great writer is saying that “We must focus on Jesus, the author and the finisher of our faith.”  (personal combination of the God’s Word and KJV).  Then one of the scriptures that we have been discussing all week in Ephesians 2:6 documents our home address as sitting “together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.”  (NKJV)

I would love to sit down with the author of the book that my son gave to me and discuss his countless hours of research and investigation into the lives and ministries of all the great men and women of God that he has documented in his books.  The thought of being able to look through and read his personal collection of documents, original writings, interviews and photographs of those who went before us in the faith and helped to shape the church as we know it today is almost mind boggling to me!  But while I do have somewhat of a connection with the author through his salutation in my book, I do not have a personal relationship with him.  The closest I could probably get to his personal archives is by viewing them through the glass enclosed cases at the Reformers and Revivalists Historical Museum that he established in southern California.

On the other hand though, you and I live with the author of all authors!  We have direct and unlimited access to the very source of life, deeper insight, the fountain of wisdom and revelation and to the “unlimited greatness of his power.”  (See: Ephesians 1:17-19)  Now that’s REALLY mind boggling!  Ephesians 1:13-14 in the Message Bible says that “It’s in Christ that you, once you heard the truth and believed it (this Message of your salvation), found yourselves home free – signed, sealed and delivered by the Holy Spirit.  This signet from God is the first installment on what’s coming, a reminder that we’ll get everything God has planned for us, a praising and glorious life.”

You know what?  I want everything that God has planned for me, and I am sure that you do too!  So… why not take advantage of the privileges of your living arrangement.  This is one time where stuffing yourself with the good things from the table that is set before you will be advantageous to your health!  Talk about a satisfying meal and an even more satisfying life!  Whoa… what a way to go!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD MEAL am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.