Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Joy Comes In The Morning


Have you ever had one of those mornings where you awoke and everything did not look real bright?  I had on of those times today.  As I gazed out of the large upper window over our stairwell, I observed that the tall redwoods against the clear blue sky promised another patented warm and sunny northern California spring day.  On the inside of me though, the forecast did not seem as cheery!  Yesterday I had spent a large portion of time in thinking about and praying over some major questions and potential decisions that I have been facing, climaxing with a long phone conversation with my youngest son in Oklahoma. What began as a call in celebration of his 25th birthday ended up being a long dissertation on all that has been going on here at home!

Having a wise and compassionate ear is always a good thing, but as I slid out of bed today I was immediately confronted in my mind, with the continuation of everything that I had been sharing with him. And on top of that was a schedule of events that would keep me hopping all day!  So, with all that going on, the beautiful scene shouting to me from outside my window had little effect as I chose to forego making the coffee and went right to my study.  Once there I sat in my chair and simply began to pray.  After a few moments I forced myself to open my Bible so as to flood my thoughts with God’s word instead what was already running rampant in my head.

The affect was almost instantaneous as I perused through Romans ten stopping suddenly at verse eleven where it unequivocally states that “Scriptures says ‘whoever believes in Him will not be ashamed.’”  (God’s Word ©)  A footnote in another of my Bibles led me to the location of where this is quoted from in Isaiah 28:16 where it is prophesying about the Rock that will be laid in Zion.  Various translations said that whoever believes in it (or Him) will not worry, or ever be disappointed, will not give way, be confounded nor be in haste.

The startling reality of those promises definitely put a series dent in the anxiousness that I was dealing with.  As I contemplated these words I remembered the statement in Psalm 30:5 where the Psalmist declares that “But joy comes in the morning.”  (NKJV) That truth was like being splashed with ice cold water on a hot summer afternoon!  The exclamation of “But” quickly dissipated all my concerns as into a passing wind and I moved with haste into the aspect of His joy that comes in the morning!

Do I still have decisions to make, and tough questions to find answers to?  Yes I do, but as I believe and trust in Him I will not be disappointed, nor be confounded, nor give way to doubt and unbelief.  Neither will I be in haste to make quick and hasty decisions, but allow the goodness and perfect timing of the Lord to avail itself in my behalf.   Wow, suddenly that big blue sky and the sun rays that are beginning to penetrate into the courtyard outside my window look extremely inviting!  In his enduring classic pastoral and inspirational study on the book of Psalms entitled “The Treasury of David,” C.H. Spurgeon says of Psalm 30:5 that “When the Sun of Righteousness comes, we wipe our eyes and joy chases out intruding sorrow.” 

No that’s something to wake up to each and every morning!  Kind of puts a whole new slant on your day… no matter what’s on your mind or on your impending schedule.  What are you facing today?  If your inside and outside schedule is booked to overflowing, then I would whole heartedly suggest to take both Isaiah 28:16 and Psalm 30:5 with you as your nearest and dearest buddy today!  It’s working for me and can do the same for you.  Believe me… you won’t be disappointed!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His word and keep looking for His positive answers as you continually ask yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

PS:  You know, a cup of delicious Hawaiian Hazelnut coffee is sounding really good about now.  I'd best get myself to making some coffee!  It is amazing how a little Word can change your whole outlook on your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.