Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, May 17, 2012

It's Far More!


This morning as I began my study time by confessing the prayer in Ephesians 1:17-23, I was suddenly jolted to attention as I realized that Paul’s intercession for us held the key to our fearless foraging into the new and uncharted waters of change.  He immediately set the stage by praying “that the glorious Father, the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, would give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation as you come to know Christ better.”  (Ephesians 1:17 God’s Word ©)  That’s it!  Everything else in that prayer is dependent on knowing Christ better.  And He qualifies that statement in the very next sentence by adding: “Then you will have…” and proceeds to list such things as “deeper insight,” “confidence,” “wealth” and intimate experiential “knowledge” of the “unlimited greatness of His power.” (Ephesians 18-19 God’s Word ©)

All of the things that he names are the tools that will give us not only the courage to walk dauntlessly through life, but also to experience victory wherever we are led to go.  The Message Bible says that as we keep our “eyes focused and clear” on Him we will be able to “see exactly what it is he is calling us to do.”  (Ephesians 1:17)  The trick then, is to keep our focus on Jesus and not on what we think the future may hold in store for us.

I also like the way that the author of the Message Bible wraps up Paul’s prayer in Ephesians 1:23.  He concludes by stating: “The church, you see, is not peripheral to the world; the world is peripheral to the church.”  In other words, the things that we see or imagine around us in this world are just an incidental and minor part of what is really happening in God’s grand scheme of life.  Kind of makes it pretty clear as to where we should put our trust doesn’t it?  Hebrews 12:2 says “we must focus on Jesus, the source and the goal of our faith.”  (God’s Word ©)

As I think a little more on the tidal wave of feelings that came upon me as I observed my Mom waving to my wife and I from her driveway, that I reminisced about in yesterday’s post (See: “A Bittersweet Day”  5/15/12), I can now see that my first inclination was to be afraid.  But was I afraid for her or for me?  In truth, if was probably more for me…

I received a note from one of my cousins who in response to yesterday’s posting wrote: “Our family has changed so much over the last few years.  They (meaning my folks) can relax now, look back on all that they have accomplished and be catered to all day long.  They deserve that!”  Her words were like a healing balm that was poured over my emotions.  She summed up my parent’s past, present and future in such a tender way that I could easily see the Master’s hand in His divine guidance upon their lives.  Laura’s words also encouraged me to rejoice in their blessings while continuing to confidently move along in the calling that God has designed for me.  Thanks, Cuz!

Today, I would also like encourage you to keep your eyes on the guiding hand of the Master as He paints on the canvas of your life.  His choice of colors and textures far exceeds anything that the world can present before your eyes. Under His attentive care, and direction the future holds no thought or concern of fear, but a bright promise that is “exceedingly, abundantly above all that we ask or think… far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!”  (Ephesians 3:20 NKJV - The Message)  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.