Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Hand of God


I awoke this morning having to deal with thoughts of anxiety and concern over the events of the day ahead.  This is the day for my folks to move from their home of some 52 years to their new residence at a very nice Assisted Living facility.  My wife and I spent a few hours with my parents yesterday, repaired a piece of furniture in preparation for the move and then had lunch with them.  My desire was to be able to reassure them that although change is difficult, that this was the right decision due to the decline in their physical health and the need to have regular assistance in their daily activities of life.

This has kind of been one of my main responsibilities during this entire process that has been going on over the last few months.  With my time and attention focused on my wife’s current situation and needs, I am thankful for my brother and sister who have taken the leading hand in investigating and pursing the next steps in the physical care needs of our folks.  It has been a tough time for all of us.

As I was considering all this earlier today, I was suddenly reminded of one of my long time favorite scriptures found in Philippians 4:13 where the Apostle Paul was commenting on a very tough time that he had just gone through.  He wrote that “I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.”  (God’s Word ©)  Another translation puts it rather bluntly by simply stating “Christ gives me the strength to face anything.”  (Contemporary English Version) That particular verse has been my rock of refuge through many of the storms that I have weathered in life, and it was no different today.  That quick refreshing brought back home the knowledge that we never go it alone, for when our feet are set on the Rock, our steps will always be secure. (See: Psalm 40:2)

As I looked up that verse in Philippians, my interest was peaked to see how Paul followed up his declaration of faith.  The next verse says “Nevertheless, it was kind of you to share in my troubles.”  (Philippians 4:14 God’s Word ©)  I found it very interesting to see that Paul understood both the spiritual and the physical sides of meeting an individual’s needs.  While he was standing in faith in trust of God and His word, he was also acknowledging how important and meaningful it was to him to have friends who would stand beside him and minister to his physical and emotional concerns.

After everything that my wife and I have been through over the last three years, I have come to realize the truth behind Paul’s words.  In our daily walk on this earth, there are times when the needs of the whole man - body, soul and spirit - must be attended to.  I think this was Christ’s original plan for the body of Believers.  You’ll notice that the members of the early church in the book of Acts had no needs.  Everyone reached out and helped each other.  It is also interesting to note that Paul commends the church in Colossae (even though he had not met them personally) because, as he said: “we have heard about your faith in Christ Jesus and your love for all of God’s people.”  (Colossians 1:4 God’s Word ©)

I am very thankful that my brother, sister and I have been able to uplift and encourage each other as the difficult decisions over our parent’s care have had to be made.  I am also appreciative of the comforting words that my cousins have shared with me over the last few weeks.  These physical outreaches of love, combined with the strength that Christ has given me, has been the rock of secure footing that I have needed to carry on during these trying times.

I would encourage you to look around today at family and friends and see if there is someone whom you might be able to be an uplifting force to.  That five minute phone call asking “what can I do to help?” or bringing a home cooked meal, or any other physical assistance that you can give may be the one thing that helps that individual through the pressures that they have been dealing with.  Sometimes our stepping up is the hand that God uses to give others “the strength to face anything!”

Have a good week.  Stay in tune to God’s Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.