Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Does God Have A Sense Of Humor?

This morning was one of those times where I found myself twisting and turning with a multitude of potential problems on my mind.  I finally gave in and pulled myself out of bed around 6:30 am.  After sliding on my slippers I took a long glance at my wife who had the most content and peaceful look on her face, and then wearily headed down the stairs to the study. My plan of attack was to simply start reading the Word with the hopes that my attitude would change and that the pressures that I had been fending off throughout the night would dissipate.  It took awhile, but my perseverance began to pay off about an hour later.  I found myself reading the Word, stopping to pray and then continuing on to find some of the answers that I had been seeking.

Like I keep repeating in this blog… isn’t God good!  Around 8:00 am, I heard the dog rolling around upstairs and I figured that my wife was also up.  Since I was beginning to feel a little more light hearted, I quietly tip toed up the stairs and grabbed one of the dog’s back feet as she continued to roll on her back and growl.  (This has been a daily routine that our dog has exhibited ever since we got her at a shelter about seven years ago!)  Taken by surprise, Mandie whirled around and began licking my face as I laid at the top of the stairs.  She then made a mad dash for the bed, flipping on her back in mid air and rolled and barked.  After a moment, she spun over, leaped to my wife and began licking her face!  What I didn’t realize until after the dog had clipped my wife in her happy, mid-air spin, was that my wife had still been fast asleep and was rudely awakened by our dogs antics! (of course, the whole episode was stirred on by my grabbing the unsuspecting dog to begin with!)

My wife took it all in stride though, as she laughingly pushed away the dog (all 50+ lbs of Australian Shepherd!), wiped her face with the sheet and said “Good Morning!”  After awhile my wife fell back asleep and Mandie accompanied me downstairs.  When I returned to my desk, I began to contrast our dog’s carefree actions when she first arose to mine an hour or so earlier.  With that, I began to laugh again.  Here I am writing a daily word of encouragement to readers all over the globe, and I allow myself to forget the very things that I am telling others to believe in.  The funny part is that it took a dog to show me the truth of my folly.

As I thought about my morning lesson and how I wanted to share it with you this afternoon, I realized that God must have a great sense of humor.  Just think about the story of the Israelites escape from Egypt.  In the height of tension as the Egyptian army was pursuing the Israelites through the Red Sea, Exodus 14:25 says that God caused the wheels of enemy’s chariots to come off so that they drove heavily!  I think that God was having a good time at the Egyptian’s expense.  Can’t you just see Him laughing heartily at that sight and slapping His knee!

You know what?  I think that He was doing the same thing toward me when He saw our dog’s morning antics earlier today.  Mandie’s fun that entangled my sleeping wife got me to look in the mirror and laugh at myself!

Are things going a little on the tough side for you today?  Maybe you need stop what your doing and roll on the floor while laughing heartily!  Sound kinda ridicules?  Hey… who knows… it might just be what you need to get yourself refocused on the solid truth of God’s Word.  Remember Hebrews 6:18 says that “God cannot lie…”  (Gods Word ©)

Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

2 comments:

  1. O yea I like this! Yes we need to lighten up and enjoy this life that God has blessed up with,I had a good hearty chuckle.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I came across your blog via Facebook's Christian Blog Network. Loved your post; it made me think about Proverbs 17:22 "A merry heart does good, [like] medicine".

    I'm a follower. My blog is Entering the Manifest Presence of the Divine. if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.