Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, June 13, 2011

1969 Camaro SS 396

Yesterday I had one of those rare times when I had the opportunity to sit down, relax and read a magazine article.  The story entitled “Old vs New” happened to be the cover article from the July 2011 issue of Motor Trend, which just happens to be one of my favorite magazines.  The article intrigued me as it was a comparison of the new Camaro, Mustang and Challenger with their 1969 and 1970 namesakes that the current retro designs are based on.

These cars hold a special place in my heart for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I went on my first outing with my wife and our high school friends in her mom’s 1969 Camaro.  Let me digress here for a moment.  I had been in a rock band in junior and senior high.  I can’t say that we were real popular, but we had fun and played at an occasional school & Boys Club dance, at private parties and so on.  So… one September weekend we were practicing at my folk's house when a group of our friends came over to listen and then accompany us out for some ice cream at Baskin Robbins.  (you know… a hot night on the town in 1970… besides, my brother worked there and I always got a discount!)  My soon to be steady girlfriend and eventual wife, Piper, was among the crowd that came over on that fateful evening.

As we were going out the front door, I stopped in awe as there was a shiny new (I believe it had been a demo) orange with black racing stripes, 1969 Camaro SS 396 parked in the driveway.  I stood sort of dumbfounded as Piper came up besides me and handed me a set of keys saying, “That’s my Mom’s new car.  You want to drive it?”  It was then that I knew that we were a match made in heaven.  I always tell folks that ask when I knew that Piper was the one, that it was “love at first drive!”

The other endearing reason for my draw to “pony cars” is that we owned a 1989 Camaro up until the time we moved to Oklahoma to attend Bible School.  I have to tell you, giving up that machine was just about as hard as leaving family and friends behind!  But don’t get too sad, lately we’ve been looking at Mustangs… who knows, maybe there’s another "pony" in our near future!

But let’s get back to the article!  In a nutshell, the story related the tests that they performed on the various new cars versus the older versions, and concluded, that although many people talk about how great the older, original cars were, they really don’t hold a candle to the new versions.  The new models are safer, more comfortable, more powerful, faster and more fuel efficient.

That point got me to think about how many of us like to talk about “the good old days” of our lives.  I had the stark realization that I had been dwelling quite a bit in the memories of the past concerning my wife’s health, vibrancy and spontaneous zest for life.  I’ve been looking through old photo’s and reminiscing over many of the fun and zany things we did in our many years together.

That article about old and new cars brought me back to the present and to God’s plans for us today!  His ways are always new and fresh.  The scripture in Hebrews 10:20 that I have quoted a lot lately says that “Jesus has opened a new and living (fresh and current) way for us to go…”  (Gods Word ©)  Hebrews 11:1 says Now faith is…” (King James Version)  Faith is always in the present tense.  You can’t use yesterday’s faith for the needs that confront you today. 

Do you remember Hebrews 9:11?  It says that “Christ came as a chief priest of the good things that are NOW HERE! (Gods Word ©)  God doesn’t want us living in the past.  He wants us to be an active and vibrant part of what is happening today.  Yes, my wife and I may be going through some tough times today, but God’s word has provided a bright and exciting future for us.  “We don’t belong with those who turn back and are destroyed.  Instead we belong with those who have faith and are saved.”  (Hebrews 10:39 Gods Word ©)  That word “saved” infers salvation, rescue, deliverance and health.  Why should I dwell on the past when faith in God's word presents us with a today and a future that is better beyond compare!

So, I encourage you to let go of the past and any resistance that you may have to the present.  The Lord spoke directly to my heart this morning and told me that “You can’t live successfully in today’s ever changing, increasingly more complicated and technical world with the limited memories and resources of your past.”  Live for today.  Expect a new adventure in God every morning!  With your trust fully founded in Him and in the promises in His word for you, you can’t help but be blessed with the “good things that are NOW HERE  (Hebrews 9:11 Gods Word ©) … and then go out and be a blessing to others around you.  You know, people just might get to wondering about you!  They may start talking behind your back, saying things like: “How can they always be so happy?”

Have a great day and an extraordinary week, knowing that greater is He that is in you than the needs that may confront you.  (see I John 4:4)  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.