Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, May 2, 2011

Wind, Earthquakes and Fire!

I was awakened at 5:31 this morning by the sound of a single bird joyously singing while everything else around him was asleep.  As I laid there enraptured by the stillness that surrounded me, I was amazed at how clear and distinct each tone of that minstrels song was to decipher.  The total absence of any distractions worked only to amplify the sounds that roused me from my deep slumber.

After I got up and closed the bedroom window, with the hope of returning to my previous dream, I began to see the similarities between the quiet, the bird and our daily conversations with God.  His Spirit is talking to us all the time, but most of us never hear Him.  We are so busy filling our heads with the “noise” of the day that we miss His communications entirely. 

There is a story in I Kings chapter 19 that tells of a time when the Prophet Elijah was looking for God.  The Lord told him to go stand on a mountain and wait for Him.  Once Elijah was there, a fierce wind tore through, shattering rocks as it passed, but the story related that the Lord was not in the wind.  Next there came an earthquake and then a fire, but the Lord was not to be found in these either.  Finally Elijah heard a “small still voice” and realized that it was the Lord speaking to him.  When he moved to a quiet location and gave his full attention to the Lord, the Lord began to converse with him.  (see I Kings 19:11-13)

I think that this is a good example for all of us to follow.  We live busy lives in a busy world, and all the distractions and noises drown out the small still voice of the Lord speaking to us.  It is important to schedule some “quiet time” each day with the Lord, in order to commit our full attention to Him, and to receive whatever information and encouraging words He wants us to hear.  This is also a good time for us to share our hearts with Him.  I’ve often heard it said that prayer (& Bible study) is a two way communication between you and our Heavenly Father.

In the still darkness of the morning today, that bird easily captured my full attention.  The event simply reaffirmed my purpose in rising up each day, before anyone else in the house is stirring, to spend some precious time with the Savior of my life.  How about you?  Start tonight or tomorrow morning.  Choose a quiet time, in a quiet, private place and invite Jesus to share His plans, His thoughts, and His love with you.  After you’ve done this for a few days, please send me a note and let me know how it is going!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.