Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Flying Turkeys!

Today has been a warm (spell that H.O.T) sunny day here in northern California.  I spent the majority of it on a hillside mowing tall weeds, and now, after a long cold shower and two bottles of Gatorade, I am beginning to feel normal again!  I’ve always considered myself an outside person.  I can’t stand being couped up inside for long periods of time, so even though I happened to be on that hill in the hottest part of the day, I still enjoyed being a part of the great outdoors!

This particular hill that I was mowing is part of an old stand of large Oak Trees.  So old, in fact, that my client lost numerous beautiful trees this year due to the overabundant rain this winter.  On any given day you can expect to see wild turkeys, deer, foxes, hawks and lizards by every tree and rock!  Today was no different.  As I was mowing between two oaks, I suddenly hit a well hidden log, and stalled the engine just as a large mama turkey went flying in a mad escape from the claws of my bush mower.  After I got over the initial shock, I immediately began to search through the tall weeds to see if I had hit a nest.  I quickly found the culprit and was very relieved that I did not smash any of the eleven eggs.  Once I extricated the log from the blade, I gave the nest a wide berth in an attempt to keep it hidden and protected from other wild life that might try and disturb it.  An hour or so later, I scared off a doe from her afternoon resting grounds while I was mowing behind the house that is located about halfway up the hill.

These two events got me to thinking about the fragility of nature.  How quickly things can change and upset the lives of the various birds and animals that make their habitations around us.  As I was lost in my thoughts, I found myself mouthing the words to Psalm 23 verse 2: “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.”  (King James Version)  This verse describes one of the basic differences between the animal kingdom, people without Christ and the Christian.

As part of the family of God, we can rest assured in the knowledge of our place under His care.  Even though we may also encounter times where our lives are quickly upset, as Christians, we can still be at peace because of His provision for us.  Under His watch, we have the ability to cast our care on Him and live without worry, as if we were lying down in a beautiful mountain meadow or beside a quiet, crystal clear alpine lake.  …And believe me, I’ve been there (both spiritually and physically) and there is nothing in this world that can top it!

Ah… all this talk about meadows and lakes makes me want to go to the Sierras! Where is your favorite relaxing place to be?  God’s peace can give you that same R&R anytime you put your trust in Him, no matter what is happening around you.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.