Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

You're a Delight!


As you read through the Bible you will come across scriptures where God spoke to His people.  He spoke through various individuals, through angels and in Matthew 3:17 He spoke directly to the people about His Son Jesus.  Although they could not physically see Him, His voice was clearly heard to all who were present.  After Jesus came up out of the waters of Baptism “a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love – my Son with whom I am well pleased.” (God’s Word ©)
As I thought about that event this morning, it dawned on me that God is not only well pleased with His Son, but He is also well pleased with me!  In John 15:9 Jesus stated that “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in my love.” (NKJV)  So it only goes to prove that you and I are well pleasing to our heavenly Father as well.  The Literal Translation of the Holy Bible tells us that God has “been delighting” in us!  According to the Jamison Fausset and Brown commentary “the verb is put in the aorist (expressing action) to express absolute complacency, once and for ever felt towards Him” (or us!).  It further explains the statement saying: “The English here, at least to modern ears, is scarcely strong enough. ‘I delight’ comes the nearest, perhaps to that ineffable complacency which is manifestly intended.”
In other words, our Papa God really, really delights in you and me!  When’s the last time you dwelt on that reality?  You know, I can look at someone like my wife and easily comprehend how much God loves her, but I find it a little harder to say the same about myself.  You know what I mean?  Let’s face it, she’s got all the qualifications.  She’s giving and kind, always seems to have the right word at the right time, is a talented musician, successfully homeschooled our four kids, put up with me for over 44 years now, is good looking, likes hot cars, is adventurous and…
Do I need to say more?  She obviously has got what it takes for God to be well pleased with her.  Then there’s me  When I look at myself, I surely don’t have all that.  How can Papa God be delighted in me?  Have you ever felt that way?  Well, you know what?  It really doesn’t matter what you and I think.  What matters is what He thinks and the Word tells us in no uncertain terms, that He is delighted in us!  In fact, it goes as far to say that we are one of His favorites!
The King James Version of Matthew 3:17 starts out by declaring that “This is my beloved Son…”  In the Greek the word “beloved” literally means “esteemed or favorite.”  And as sons and daughters of God (See: 2 Corinthians 6:18) we can be included in that statement.  Remember Jesus said that He feels the same about us as the Father does about Him.  WOW!  Now that is something to rejoice about.  It is also something that could really shake up someone’s personal theology!
So, I would strongly suggest that you take some time to meditate upon this truth.  Let the knowledge of how much He loves and constantly delights in you sink in until it just becomes a part of your personal knowledge of who you think are.  God, your Papa God, delights in you to the point where He sees you as one of His favorite kids.  When you get dressed in the morning think about putting on that coat of many colors similar to the one that Israel gave to Joseph (Genesis 37:3) to prove how special he was to his father and then walk in the knowledge of His love and delight for you.  Then say, “My Papa God delights in me!”
Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting to be a delight to today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.