Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Serving the Lord...


It dawned on me last night that I may have been fighting off some of the same symptoms of the bug that got to my wife a couple of Sunday mornings ago.  While she had a strong reaction and required some assistance during that day, she was back to her old self by Monday.  I on the other hand have had the lingering effects of being very tired with a jittery stomach, head ache and not much energy!  I was still feeling a bit woozy this morning when I reluctantly pulled myself out of bed.  I had slept in later than normal and I wanted to get some time in the Word before getting my sweetie up.
As soon as I slowly sundered into the kitchen, I was met by the sight of the dog who was unceremoniously throwing up next to the piano in the living room.  To say the least, that was not how I wanted to start my day!  I wasn’t really surprised though, because she had gotten into the cabinet under the sink while we were out yesterday and had devoured some pork rib bones that were in the garbage… but still… first thing in the morning!  It looks like the child-proof locks are going back on the cabinet doors!
So, after performing my responsibilities as a pet owner, I brewed a cup of coffee and sat down at the kitchen table.  I opened up my bible to where I had left off yesterday at Matthew chapter four where the Apostle told of Jesus’ temptations in the wilderness at the beginning of His ministry.  I was impressed once more as Jesus repeatedly responded to the devil’s lies by declaring “scripture says…” (Matthew 4: 4,7,10 God’s Word ©)  Verse ten, in particular, caught my attention as He stated, “Go away, Satan!  Scripture says, ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve only him.’”
After meditating on that scripture for a while, I noticed that it was getting late and that I needed to get my wife up for the day.  And even though I felt like I wasn’t quite finished with my study, I put aside my desires and went in to serve my bride.  But you know… Papa God knew that and had something more in store for me…
When I knelt down at Piper’s side I noticed that she was really sleeping hard and seemed to be more “out of it” than is normal in the morning.  At times like that all kinds of thoughts can fly through your head!  But I forced them away and wished her good morning, sang a few choruses of my usual silly but cheery wake up songs, grabbed our confession sheet that I keep on her bed stand and began to speak God’s Word over her.
When I got down to the bottom of the first page, the light suddenly went on as I read a personalized version of Romans 8:2 to her saying, “It is written in Romans 8:2 where Jesus said that ‘the same Spirit that raised Me from the dead now lives in you Piper and has made you free from the adverse accusations and sentences of the law of sin and death.’”  At that point I just stood there mesmerized as I began to see that verse in light of what I had read earlier in that we should “Worship the Lord your God and serve only him.”
As I looked upon my wife’s outward appearance and was tempted to be overly concerned, it dawned on me that “we are not to serve the lies of the devil but only what the Word of God tells us!”  We have been set free from accusations and bogus sentences that the enemy of our souls would try to get us to accept.  Remember that according to Colossians 1:13 “God rescued us from the dark power of Satan and brought us into the kingdom of his dear Son.” (CEV)  You and I have been set free from the lying accusations and sentences of sickness, disease and early death, just like my wife has!
So at that I began to smile, thank the Lord for His lesson and stated out loud for anyone to hear, “We will not serve this lie of the devil but will only serve the Lord our God and the truth of His Word, and continue to stand on what the scriptures say that “He Himself took Piper’s infirmities, bore this disease and that by Christ’s stripes Piper is healed and made perfectly whole!’” (Matthew 8:17, I Peter 2:24, Matthew 14:36 – personalized)
So there you go!  We don’t just serve the Lord by living a godly life and obeying His standards, but we also serve Him by believing and standing on the truth of His Word… no matter what the physical circumstances might be demonstrating that is opposite to His Word!  My statement of faith for today is going to mimic Joshua’s words as I continuously declare: “but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15 KJV)  Who are you mimicking today?
Have a great day!  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.