Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Barking Dogs...


I had a tough time getting up this morning.  I guess yesterday’s event with our appointment at Piper’s new doctor took more out of me than I thought!  We had a great visit with her Neurologist.  He was quite friendly, laid back and very open in our discussion.  He actually reminded me of my best friend back in high school!  We went over my wife’s story beginning back in 2006, reviewed her current medications and our daily schedule.  He concurred that we were on the right track and suggested that I exercise her joints a little each day. 
The doctor also pointed out some other available medications, but again, felt that her present course of action was good.  He informed me of many of the other aspects of their office services including their ability to help in obtaining equipment needs and home help. So, needless to say, I was satisfied with the appointment and feel good about my wife’s medical care here in our new home. 
I enjoyed driving through the city of Durham where the clinic was located.  It definitely has the feel of southern charm about it.  I would like to go back and drive around its various neighborhoods sometime.  There were many older homes that definitely looked like they had been around since the 1800’s!  It would be easy to visualize horse drawn carriages parked in front of them!
On the way home we stopped at our local Super Walmart and did our weekly grocery shopping just like we used to do in Oklahoma.  Super Walmart’s play an important part in the economy out here, much more than they did in our California hometown.  By the time we got home I was feeling pretty worn out and still had to deal with a leaky water heater as I had discovered water seeping into the kitchen and living room just before bed last night! 
So, by the time the maintenance crew came by and rectified the problem, which ended up being a plugged drain for the air conditioner (it seems that the downstairs apartments have the communal drain for their own air conditioners as well as for the two apartments above them!), fed my wife and unintentionally the dog lunch since the pooch helped herself to my sandwich while I was working with the maintenance guys, I was ready for a comfortable chair!  When I jokingly questioned my wife about her letting the dog eat my sandwich, she just looked at me and grinned which instantly dissolved any frustration I was feeling at the moment!
When I dragged myself into the living room this morning the dog was uncharacteristically lively compared to her normal morning sleepiness and jumped up and wagged her way up to me!  Her attention helped me to wake up and I enthusiastically jumped into the Word and had a great time with the Lord.  A little later as I was helping my wife get ready for the day, I found myself singing aloud the chorus to the song “Holy Ground.”
“We are standing on holy ground
 And I know that there are angels all around
 Let us praise Jesus now
 For we are standing in His presence on holy ground”
As I sang the words I could physically feel a change in the atmosphere in the house.  I could sense His presence in that place!  I continued to sing the song of worship as I walked Piper into the kitchen and prepared her breakfast drink.  After I had Piper all set, I took the dog out, fed her and then worked on my breakfast.  When the dog finished gulping down her bacon topped chow, she bounded to the couch, rolled over on her back and began barking!
At that sight I immediately started to rejoice and told my wife that even the dog was rejoicing in the presence of the Lord!  You know, I think the Lord knew that I would need some extra encouragement after our long day yesterday and only needed a little opening into our lives by the singing of a worship song to Him in order to open wide the flood gates of joy, which according to Nehemiah 8:10 brings His strength onto the scene! 
Jesus declared in reply to the Pharisees as they whined about the praises that Jesus’ disciples were singing, “If they keep quiet, these stones will start shouting.” (Luke 19:40 CEV)  And I think that if He was able to make the stones shout praises, then He could make a happy dog bark praises as well!  What do you think?  Like I said the other day… it works for me!  I can’t think of any other explanation.  The sun even popped through the dark overcast and 60% change of rain that was forecasted for this morning!
Wow!  What a way to change the flavor of the day!  So, I encourage you to give it a try when you need a boost in your spiritual attitude or physical energy.  Begin singing or shouting your praises to Him and watch and see who or what joins in with you!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.